Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Painted over plaster cracking off, inground gunite pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Lake Oswego, OR

Painted over plaster cracking off, inground gunite pool

Bought a home with an old pool this year. The pool had been replastered about 2 years ago but because of a foot print the owner decided to paint it. The paint has bern chipping off with dark plaster underneath which is unslightly, but today I noticed about a 12" section in the deep end where both paint and plaster had chipped off in a crescent shape, about 1/8" thick, several pieces. Nothing has been dropped there. Am I doing something wrong, i.e water chemistry or is this likely a bad plaster job?

2. Back To Top    #2

Sacramento, CA

Re: Painted over plaster cracking off, inground gunite pool

Welcome to TFP

Pictures Pictures Pictures. Test results and pictures. Overall pool and the damaged area.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Heliocol solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Painted over plaster cracking off, inground gunite pool

Welcome to TFP!

Please add your pool info to your signature, more here on what to add and how to do it, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Yes, several sets of test results would be helpful. It is possibly a poor plaster job or more likely poor management of water chemistry. Failure to properly manage water chemistry can cause plaster to fail in 5 years or less. With properly managed water chemistry plaster can last 15-20 years or more.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach