Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Here's one for you...cya disappeared.

1. Back To Top    #1

Here's one for you...cya disappeared.

Hi,

We had 5 inches of rain the other day and my pool was flooded with water that came from my neighbors yard. I balanced it the next day and noticed the chlorine for the next few days was disappearing quickly. I also noticed my cya was dropping. After 4 days it has dropped from 40 to 10 and that includes the fact I added 12 oz after the first drop from 40 to 35. I thought nothing removed cya, but something that washed out of my neighbors yard certainly did. I checked it three times today even opening a new bottle of Taylor's cyanuric acid. I have an 18,000 gallon concrete pool and my numbers tonight were 85.1 degrees, 2.4 FC,.3 CC, 7.56 pH, 92 TA, 240 Calc and of course cya of around 10. Too low to measure, but there is some cloudiness to the test sample.

I'm still bringing the Calc up a little and may or may not bring up the TA a hair later. Any ideas where the cya went or what could have washed out of my neighbors yard to get rid of it.

Also, right after the storm I added a does of algacide as a precaution because it's was time to add some.

Thanks,

Howard

P.S. I use chlorox bleach, baking soda, muriatic acid, etc.. to maintain my pool.
    18,000 Plaster
    Sand Filter with mineral cart
    TFP chemical for everything else
    Daily Testing with Taylor K2006
    Hanna HI 98128 Ph meter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Here's one for you...cya disappeared.

Highly likely the neighbor flooding mixed in enough to dillute it big time.

Though there has been quite a few mystery cya level drops this season.

Mine went from 50 to 20 over 2 months (May/June) with 0.0 water exchange.

But my CH level stayed exactly in the same place. Something ate my cya.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

Possibly bacteria from the soil. Certain bacteria can eat cya. Monitor fc and cc carefully.

4. Back To Top    #4

When FC drops below minimum it is possible for bacteria to grow and consume your CYA.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks guys. I am checking FC and CC every day. I'll stay on top of it.

Howard
    18,000 Plaster
    Sand Filter with mineral cart
    TFP chemical for everything else
    Daily Testing with Taylor K2006
    Hanna HI 98128 Ph meter

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by howardpassman View Post
    ...P.S. I use chlorox bleach, baking soda, muriatic acid, etc.. to maintain my pool.
    That last part is bothersome- you really don't need anything else. Please do not use algaecides or you'll be draining your water later. Your FC is dangerously low.
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

I lost CYA this year as well. Never had an algae bloom and only very briefly (maybe a few hours) got below my min FC levels by 1 ppm.

TA and CH levels compared to fill water didn't change enough to blame a leak and I passed the bucket test also. The loss did coincide with some excessive bird 'activity' in and around the pool. At this point my theory is that the birds introduced some bacteria that wasn't killed before it consumed quite a bit of my CYA.

I replenished the CYA and have been back to normal since.
    John - 16,000 gallon | in ground | pebble | Triton II sand filter | TF100 | speedstir | Hayward Phoenix 2x

8. Back To Top    #8

that bacteria needs to be segregated, cultured and sold at TFTestkits along with jugs of bleach to kill it after. Wonder what it converts CYA to after eating it?
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Ain't that thread truth!

It is a nitrification process. First it converts to ammonia, then nitrite then nitrate.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by max2k View Post
    ... Wonder what it converts CYA to after eating it?
    As always, chem geek had something to say about that ....

Degradation of Cyanuric Acid (CYA))
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Ain't that thread truth!

It is a nitrification process. First it converts to ammonia, then nitrite then nitrate.
    sounds suitable. We can even call it CYA Down or C-Gone or any other Baloney Sandwich names marketing loves What kind of bacteria is that? I wonder if the cure is not worse than the original problem ...

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Hi,

We had 5 inches of rain the other day and my pool was flooded with water that came from my neighbors yard. I balanced it the next day and noticed the chlorine for the next few days was disappearing quickly. I also noticed my cya was dropping. After 4 days it has dropped from 40 to 10 and that includes the fact I added 12 oz after the first drop from 40 to 35. I thought nothing removed cya, but something that washed out of my neighbors yard certainly did. I checked it three times today even opening a new bottle of Taylor's cyanuric acid. I have an 18,000 gallon concrete pool and my numbers tonight were 85.1 degrees, 2.4 FC,.3 CC, 7.56 pH, 92 TA, 240 Calc and of course cya of around 10. Too low to measure, but there is some cloudiness to the test sample.

I'm still bringing the Calc up a little and may or may not bring up the TA a hair later. Any ideas where the cya went or what could have washed out of my neighbors yard to get rid of it.

Also, right after the storm I added a does of algacide as a precaution because it's was time to add some.

Thanks,

Howard

P.S. I use chlorox bleach, baking soda, muriatic acid, etc.. to maintain my pool.
    Welcome.

How are you getting those test results (.3 CC, 7.56 pH, 92 TA)? With the k2006, the finest resolution of the chlorine testing is 0.2ppm, the pH test is by two-tenths (7.2, 7.4, 7.6 etc) and with TA, one drop = 10ppm. Are those pool $tore results?

I wouldn't bother with adjusting TA if the pH is stable.

There is no need for algaecide in a properly sanitized pool.

I see you have a 'mineral cartridge' listed in your signature. Are you aware that the mineral cartridge, along with most algaecides are adding copper to your water? These metals do not dissipate on their own and will continue to accumulate. Copper is known to stain pool surfaces and turn blonde hair green.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

I believe it is nitrosomanoas for the ammonia conversing and nitrobacter for the nitrate conversion, but I didn't look it up to verify. It is likely that is what Bioactive is trying to culture but it is too unstable and/or unpredictable.
    TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by max2k View Post
    sounds suitable. We can even call it CYA Down or C-Gone or any other Baloney Sandwich names marketing loves
    LOL!!!

In my case, I theorize there is "something" in the pollen nodules my neighbors red pine drops in MASSIVE quantities in my pool.

only additive I can come up with to explain it.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by borjis View Post
    LOL!!!

In my case, I theorize there is "something" in the pollen nodules my neighbors red pine drops in MASSIVE quantities in my pool.

only additive I can come up with to explain it.
    going full organic someone could make floating bird feeder and then enjoy falling CYA. Then you'd need to get cats to get rid of birds - full food chain

16. Back To Top    #16

Hi,

Thanks,

Howard

I've had similar drops twice this year already. In May after torrential rains (est 24") my CYA went down to about 20 (from 90) and again last month, after an accidental water replacement (don't ask), my CYA went from 70 down to less than 20 (I'm guessing about 10). FC was down to about 2PPM. Each time I had to add CYA to bring it up to a more amount.
    2016 Build: 32x8 Gunite, 6,700 gallon IG pool including 6x8 spa and 6x8 tanning ledge w/ 2 bubblers. 32' raised wall with two sheer descent water features. Travertine Coping w/ split faced Travertine on raised wall face. 2HP VS Jandy pump, 400k heater, Rainbow Chlorinator, 4 Colored LED Lights. 459sqft spray deck plus. IAqualink remote, Polarus 9350 Robot Cleaner.

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post

Admins - can we put Chem Geek's post there in Pool School?? It at least ought to be a sticky some where...
    15,400 gal, 16x32 vinyl rectangle (sport dig), Intelliflo VS, 240 sqft cartridge filter, Intellichlor IC40, Mastertemp 250, Dolphin supreme M4 cleaning, Pentair EasyTouch4

18. Back To Top    #18

Noted, we'll review it. Thanks.
    TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Noted, we'll review it. Thanks.
    just make sure it's in more 'advanced' section of it- new members coming here are often have their head spinning of all new info they need to consume in very short time while being pressed by SO for results. I think the simpler the initial steps the better. CYA degradation is definitely not one of those 'introduction' topics IMO.

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post

For what it's worth, I have found that during the strong sun in central Texas summers in an unshaded pool I lose about 10 PPM CYA per month with no water removal (just filling due to evaporation and minor splash out). SWG that I run at TFP recommendations of 80 CYA and 4-5 FC (Thank you TFP as I have found this is absolutely critical and no one else tells you this!). Anyway this fits nicely with chem geek's last paragraph about sunlight degradation. That along with high water temperature (88-90) and the superchlorination that occurs within the cell (both of which are also discussed in article as CYA degraders) I think establishes that it is normal to lose quite a bit of CYA during summer, especially with a SWG.
    15,000 IG Plaster
    Sand
    SWG