first test results.

Jul 30, 2016
Orand Park IL
I came home from work and found my test kit had arrived. It looks like a well organized kit that will be easy to keep clean. I also got a speed stirrir and that is awesome! I'm going tell all my reef tank peeps they need to pic one up as it really speeds up testing and makes it less a feat of agility. My results....eeek. what's the world record for CYA?

FC-16.5
CC-00.5
TC-17.0
CH-150
TA-120
PH-7.2
CYA-? it's a lot. I did the test with the 50ppm sample solution and came up with a reading between 40 and 50. I did the test as it instructs on the laminated card and maxed the test out very quickly. I looked up the dilution method and again, couldn't get up to 100. I then tried with just 1/4 pool water and 3/4 tap water. I don't know if the test scales like this or not, but even then I couldn't get to 100. Argh. It's safe to say the level is super high. 12 yrs of trichlor pelets and twice 4lb/wk of bioguard shock are the culprit? So, I'm having a new liner installed in Oct., obviously after that I will be starting a new with my own fresh pool water, but can I maintain the pool in the mean time? It looks and feels perfect. I've avoided pool my whole adult life as they always gave my red eyes, headaches, sneezing, etc. I have none of those symptoms in this pool, probably cuz the CYA has that FC on lock down. Is there anyway, safe, way to push off draining this pool until Oct? thanks for the help,
bill

You might have the record at 400+. :) Best you can do is keep FC at 12ish and let it drop below 10 occasionally to test PH. The PH test is not valid when FC is above 10 ppm. If it goes sideways then you know what to do.

Toss the frog. It is a mineral system that adds metals to the pool. Lots of people here are spending lots of time and money to get rid of metals, metal stains, green hair, fingernails and dogs.

More here,
Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains
Alternative sanitizers and pools--The Truth!!

how long does a water sample stay viable for CYA testing? I'm really doubting my results are accurate. Can I ship a sample of water to someone and have them run the test? I've had the water tested at the pool store twice, two weeks ago and this past weekend. Both times the fc was 15. I know their test are suspect, but the test kit I had for chlorine/ph also tested off the charts for chlorine, so I know it's high. That being said, the chlorinator has been shut off for a week now and I haven't added any bleach, shock, or anything else. So, will the FC ever come down to a level I can get a Ph reading? Should I not put any bleach in until the FC goes down to 12? Should I just stick with the pool store additive regiment for the next couple months until I drain the pool for a liner, then start fresh with the TFP methods? Thanks for the heads up with the frog. The previous owner said they only change that stuff once a year and wasn't sure what it was for. I will get rid of it when I do the new liner. as for green hair, I've paid good money to have green hair. I see in your sig SONOS, is this a pool thing or are the audio system? I'm having some outdoor audio installed in a week and would like any feedback you have on the Sonos system, if that's what you have.

bill

Yes, SONOS is audio. It is great. Install a boost and an app, plug in a speaker and go, it is all controlled through wifi. It will play slacker, Pandora, iTunes, google play and more. All controllable from your phone or Tab. Each speaker can play the same thing or different things. We're up to about a dozen of them.

Order a TF-100 from TFTestkits.net. It is causes an FAS/DPD chlorine test that will test FC up to 50 ppm and CYA test. Then you will know where you really are.

Sorry, I didn't mention that the test I got in the mail today was in fact a TH-100. I only referenced the pool store/OTO test to show that FC isn't dropping on it's own, at least not very fast, so I don't know how to get it down for a Ph reading. Pool math says that at 400 cya I should have a FC of 30, and to get there from 16.5, add 3 gal of 8.25% bleach. Should I add the bleach now, or wait for the FC to drop for a Ph reading? Am I correct in understanding that a super high CYA and the associated FC needed will be a pain to maintain, but still safe to swim in for the next couple months, as long as I don't get an algae outbreak? At which point I wouldn't be able to get the FC high enough to shock. If this is the case, should I keep up with the algecide addition to prevent an unbeatable bloom?

I'm having 6 speakers and a buried sub put in. I am either going with Sonos or Bluesound. I've heard lots of good about both. I'm not going with wireless speakers in the yard as wires are easy to hide there, and I couldn't find a good all weather option, but I am going to look into the wireless speakers for around the house. Do you have the 1s,3s,5s?

bill

I'm in favor of you using up the products you have and switching over to TFP as you run out. Might as well start to learn the system now rather then give the pool store and Bioguard any more $$ and making your situation any worse.
Time to order the test kit. TF100

Your assumptions are correct. Wait for FC to drop to 10 and test ph. Keep FC up around 15 and hope for the best.

I have 1s, 3s soundbar and sub. I have used two 3s and a 1 outside in covered areas for years. I usually take them in for winter. A friend has the SONOS AMPS to power some all weather outdoor speakers and then more SONOS inside. It is goodnes..

... Is there anyway, safe, way to push off draining this pool until Oct? ...

I haven't found one, sorry.
You can use bleach instead of pellets and leave CYA alone for now. I was running my pool successfully through last season at FC 14-16 and CYA 300. You prob want to be somewhere close to 20 as at 14 my pool was showing signs of algae growth.

You can also try to measure overnight FC loss to see if you have problem brewing. Just don't add any metals in the water (remove the frog) and keep filtering/brushing to disturb algae on the walls. I brush my pool weekly and did so last season. Keep your filter clean.

so, the consensus seems to be that it isn't worth it to try and fix this water if I'm going to dump it at the end of the season. Stick with the Bioguard, of which I have a shed full of anyway, and after the new liner goes in, start fresh with the the TFP system?

bill

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.