Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is one light enough???

1. Back To Top    #1

Is one light enough???

Me again,

Hope you guys can help me with this questions.

I'm wondering if a single Intellibrite 5G White LED 300W equivalent pool light is enough for my new pool and if you don't mind telling me what would be the best placement (along the lenght or the width of the pool).

Pool size is 11'x21'x4.4'

I'm attaching a render of the project for you to be able to answer my questions.

THANKS!

Attachment 52909
    11'x21'x4.4'
    7.0K IG Concrete pool
    Hayward Swimpro 19" Sand Filter
    1HP pump
    Pentair Intellibrite 5G 500W equivalent white light

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is one light enough???

Yes.
    I would suggest you install on a wall that is not pointing towards your normal viewing position..

In-ground; 34,000 gal; Pentair Equipment; Hot tub; Bench Entry; Weeping Wall; Happy Family

3. Back To Top    #3

Even though the pool light manufacturer has given that LED light a "300W equivalent" rating, you will definitely find that the LED light will appear to give a lot less light than the incandescent equivalent. For a pool your size, you will definitely want 2 lights, especially if you plan on having a plaster color that isn't white.
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

4. Back To Top    #4

Combine what both posts above state: two lights on the long wall facing away from the seating. No light location is perfect.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks guys
    11'x21'x4.4'
    7.0K IG Concrete pool
    Hayward Swimpro 19" Sand Filter
    1HP pump
    Pentair Intellibrite 5G 500W equivalent white light

6. Back To Top    #6

Agree with above, 2 lights, although I would have one at each short end facing each other.
    17k IG plaster pool+ spa, Stonescape mini-pebble midnight blue, marble coping, Trex and porcelain tile decking, Pentair Intelliflo VSP x 3 (filter, laminars and spa jets), Pentair IC40, Pentair MasterTemp 400, Pentair Quad DE 100, Pentair CC 150 for laminars, Intellibrite 5G LEDs, MagicStream Laminars x 3, Intellitouch i9+3 automation with Screenlogic2, IntellipH, Dolphin s300i, TFTest kit, SpeedStir

7. Back To Top    #7

We generally do not recommend placing lights on the short ends of pools facing each other. That is because lights at the ends are in the swim path of swimmers and they end up swimming into the light which is not a pleasant experience. While this is a short pool and it may not be an issue placing a light at the far end of the pool would also violate rule one of pool light placement-- don't have lights facing outside seating areas. Most lights are used for effect at night and you don't want the light shining in folks eyes who are sitting around the pool.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall