Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The Great Sand Debate! (or, Does Sand Wear Out?) With pics!

1. Back To Top    #1

The Great Sand Debate! (or, Does Sand Wear Out?) With pics!

Yea, a provocative title - sorry...

While I don't have one of them fancy new modern smart phones that can take pictures of a single grain of table salt, I do have a microscope! And and old digital camera. And, by carefully holding my camera over the eye piece of the 'scope, I was able to take the following 50x photos of new & used filter sand. (Well 50x in the 'scope. Probably several hundred times magnified as displayed.)

So, can you tell which are which, old -vs- new?

Left pics are "Set 1". Right pics are "Set A".

(light source from below)

(light source from above)

Bonus Pic!
    Just for fun - a picture of my microscope and phone with a picture of my microscope and my camera with a picture of a slide on the microscope...
    IG 30'x15' oval. ~12,800 gal. Vinyl lined. 24" Hayward sand filter w/ 1.5 HP pump. TF-100 test kit w/Speed Stir.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The Great Sand Debate! (or, Does Sand Wear Out?) With pics!

Yep...and if you had a picture of that sand from a million years ago and a pic of that same sand a million years from now, they would all look the same...but thanks for the visual demonstration!!
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    Yep...and if you had a picture of that sand from a million years ago and a pic of that same sand a million years from now, they would all look the same...but thanks for the visual demonstration!!
    I know - but a picture says a million-years worth of words!

ETA: Plus, I got to play with my microscope for the first time in 30+ years!
    IG 30'x15' oval. ~12,800 gal. Vinyl lined. 24" Hayward sand filter w/ 1.5 HP pump. TF-100 test kit w/Speed Stir.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, bonus points for getting to play with some toys.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach