Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Limestone dust in pool... effects? Mitigation?

1. Back To Top    #1

Austin, TX

Limestone dust in pool... effects? Mitigation?

Had our pool put in a couple of years ago, FINALLY got the pool builder to send the stone masons back out to fix some legacy problems from a worker who was too aggressive sanding/grinding the spillover stones (turned them into anything but squares). It occurred to me that the sanding and grinding to true up the stones (4, about 15x15") will put limestone dust in the pool (deck is Leuders limestone).

Is this a problem given that Limestone is largely comprised of calcium? We have hight mineral water here in central austin, with our Calcium levels typically around 275ppm. If it is a problem is there anything I should do to mitigate it?

I lowered the PH to around 7 the day before they did the work, which I'm assuming is better for breaking down the limestone dust more quickly and preventing it from solidifying anywhere on the plaster, etc. Is there anything else I should do? Monitor PH closely? Reduce PH below 7 for the next week? Empty the filters?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this, wasn't really sure where to post.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Central Valley CA

Re: Limestone dust in pool... effects? Mitigation?

Someone will chime on the chemical side but my take is that dust even fine dust is a fairly large particle. Keep the pump running brush as much as you can to keep it in suspension and clean the filter.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, built Oct 2015, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, 10GPDStenner for chlorine, 3GPD Stenner for MA, TF-100.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Limestone dust in pool... effects? Mitigation?

Yes, moving it to the filter is the best thing. Keep an eye on your CSI, PoolMath will give you the number, keep it between- 0.3 and 0 to avoid scale. Otherwise, you are fine.

More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach