Hayward S244T 1.5" sand filter bottle neck worth upgrading valve assembly to 2"

Apr 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Hayward S244T 1.5" sand filter bottle neck worth upgrading valve assembly to 2"

Hello everyone and thank you for your time.

I was changing out my pool sand and realized that my Hayward S244T Valve assembly is 1.5" vs my whole pool system runs 2" pipe. I was pondering 3 options:
1. Is it worth upgrading to the Hayward SP071620T valve assembly that has a 2" inlet (for ~$160) but this option still keeps the same laterals etc.

2. Buy a newer filter all together that already comes with a 2" piping and better hydraulic design (newer laterals etc) and if that is the case, which model would you recommend?

3. Leave it as is as it's not worth the savings in electricity.

Just some information: I do run a variable speed pump so normally its not set to a higher flow unless its recirculating through the solar heat exchanger or the heater is turned on.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

-Ken

Last edited:
Re: Hayward S244T 1.5" sand filter bottle neck worth upgrading valve assembly to 2"

Hey Ken,

I do not think it would be worth the money to change out, you are not moving the amount of water that would need a change.. if you did change everything to 2 inch, you may get a couple more gallons per hour but nothing significant :)

remember, most skimmer and return connections are 1.5 inch...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.