Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Owner - Shopping for robotic pool cleaner

1. Back To Top    #1

New Owner - Shopping for robotic pool cleaner

I'm a brand new home/pool owner and trying to wrangle this new 27,000g friend in my back yard. We let things get out of whack (just moving in / not many pool supplies left for us / too busy to stay on top of it) and had some algae growth. We're getting the chemistry back to where it needs to be, but the cleaning part made me realize that I'd rather just have a robot do it....ideally, the investment will worth my time.

So - for a large-ish painted concrete pool - what are my options? After reading some stuff here....I'm also looking for a top-loader (preferably a basket) and not interested in a pressure/suction cleaner.

One concern: the pool needs to be repainted; will using a robot vice brush cleaning cause the current paint-job to degrade quicker? Thanks and I look forward to the discussion!
    27,000g, 3'-9' IG; Freeform Concrete; Hayward 1hp SuperPump; Hayward Sand Filter S244T

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Owner - Shopping for robotic pool cleaner

I am about to start the build process. Based on my research I've decided to go with a robotic cleaner against my builder's recommended in-floor system. I've narrowed down my search to these two models but would be interested in what everyone else has to say.

Dolphin s300i
    Dolphin Triton Plus

3. Back To Top    #3

I've had the Dolphin s300i for 6 weeks and I can tell you it's the BEST investment for my pool and for me I've made. I have lots of trees around my pool and had to hand vac everyday. Now I'm free to do other Cinderella duties. Love love love the basket on top.
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

4. Back To Top    #4

Another s300 owner (not the "i", just the 300). Not a single regret.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

I recently purchased the Doheny Discovery. It is actually the Dolphin S200.

Very pleased with it. I don't need the all the extra features and price of the s300.
    My 2016 Build 14'x19'x35' IG Gunite 15K Gal. Roman, 4'-5' deep, 6 returns, 3 sheers
    4 deck jets, 2 Pentair XF22005 Pumps, Clean&Clear 200 Cartridge Filter, Brick Coping
    2 Pentair 5g 12v LED Pool Lights, 1 Pentair 12v Globrite LED in step area, 2 Bubblers
    Inline Chlorinator - SWG later, WetEdge Mediterranean Pebble, Intermatic MultiWave
    43'x33' Screened Paver Deck&15'x30' Lanai, Doheny Discovery (S200) Robot, TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

I bought the Polaris 9550 in Jan. 2016 and I am very happy with it. Especially like it ability to collect leaves and debris into it's containment box.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by TexasDeano View Post
    I am about to start the build process. Based on my research I've decided to go with a robotic cleaner against my builder's recommended in-floor system. I've narrowed down my search to these two models but would be interested in what everyone else has to say.

Dolphin s300i
    Dolphin Triton Plus
    The Triton looks to be a bottom-loading cartridge. I looked at S-series from Dolphin and the 200 seems to fit all my needs. I'm going to check out a couple comps from different brands and see what I find.
    27,000g, 3'-9' IG; Freeform Concrete; Hayward 1hp SuperPump; Hayward Sand Filter S244T