Turning off solar heating during peak of summer

Pr0FiT

Jul 1, 2016
Fresno CA
So I've come to the determination that our solar heating works too well. The water gets really hot really quick and stays that way all night. It's already 100+ outside and jumping into a hot spring is not refreshing :) I'd like to shut it off for now and re-enable once it makes sense and can extend our pool season a bit.

I am a new home/pool owner so I haven't had anyone explain to me how all this machinery/setup works so I thought I should come ask the experts before i start flipping switches and pressing buttons.

Here are the intake and output values on the solar tubes:
EHzhgOY.jpg

1. Do I need to turn both valves to the off position or just the intake?
2. If just the intake, which one is the intake? :)

I think this guy also plays a role in routing water to the solar tubing:
s8jhBSO.jpg

1. It has a switch with 3 posistions, they are: off, 1, 2; currently set to 2. What does it need to be set to so the solar is out of the picture?

Thank you for any help/advice

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we are going to need more complete pictures showing all the plumbing.

Do you not have a solar controller that would be moving that actuated valve? Either it could be set too hot, or maybe the controller is broken.

The short term solution could be as simple as flipping the switch on the actuator to 1 ... assuming there is not a controller that might try to move it.

Can't you just shut the pump off during the day and only run it at night. This will also save electricity cost if you are on time of day pricing. When the weather cools off and you need the heat then go back to using the pump during the day. Normally you only have to run your pool pump for a fraction of the day - I run my from dawn to dusk as I want all of the heat of the sun from my solar heating system up here in Canada.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.