Algae problems with good numbers?

Jul 20, 2015
Franklin, VA
3 weeks ago had to slam. Pool cleared. Was good for a week or so. Kept check on FC an it has been in range. Well we have had alot of activity in the pool and alot of rain. FC was a 5 yesterday. Well I saw algae forming on floor. I added enough bleach to get to shock level an I came back this morning to more algae. Here is my test results from this morning.

FC 12
CC .5
PH 7.9
TA 160
CH 50
CA 50
Water temp is 80f
I'm confused why I would get algae with my fc in range? Can anybody help?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Charlie, it's hard to know why algae may have crept-in on you. It's possible that with all the activity you've had (rain, swimming, etc) the conditions were just enough to allow the organics to get a foothold in your pool. In any case all we can do is try to help you get past this battle as soon as possible. We know pH testing is unreliable (high) when the FC is above 10. Did you adjust your pH to about 7.2 before starting your SLAM? If not, you may want to let the FC drop to 8-9 just long enough to test/adjust pH. Then make sure to increase FC to "20" based on your CYA of 50. Maintain that FC of 20 until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. Best of luck to you.

5ppm is getting close to your 4ppm minimum FC for a CYA (CA?) of 50ppm. With the warmer temps & increased activity it is very possible that algae spores simply overtook the FC, which does not take long at all. Algae will reproduce much faster than it is oxidized at maintenance FC levels & is the reason for elevated FC levels (shock level) during a SLAM.

At this time of year I use the recommended target as my minimum to help offset the warmer water and increase in use.

Regardless of how you got algae, you should raise your FC to 20 (shock level) and begin your SLAM immediately.

Dom

I will let it drift below 10 for accurate ph reading an start slam again. Domct203 you say you use recommended target. Pool math says 4-8 is in normal. Are you saying you use 8 as a minimum during extreme heat an use. I am new to this system an trying to follow it to the T. I was skeptical about what is safe for the kids to swim in as far as chlorine.

I will let it drift below 10 for accurate ph reading an start slam again. Domct203 you say you use recommended target. Pool math says 4-8 is in normal. Are you saying you use 8 as a minimum during extreme heat an use. I am new to this system an trying to follow it to the T. I was skeptical about what is safe for the kids to swim in as far as chlorine.

If you refer to the Chlorine/CYA chart:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

For 50ppm CYA, your recommended FC target is 6ppm, with an absolute minimum FC level of 4ppm. If this were my pool, this time of year I would use the 'recommended target' of 6ppm as my minimum, and do my best to never go below that. Pool Math is recommending target value +/-2ppm I guess (4-8ppm).

It is perfectly fine to swim with FC up to your shock level per CYA, or in your case right now with 50ppm CYA, a FC of 20ppm or lower is safe to swim in (remember, if you can not see the bottom it is not safe to swim regardless of FC- if someone were in trouble under water you might not be able to see them in the murky water.

Dom

Thank you for all of your help. I am about at my whits end with this pool. Has been a constant battle from opening this year. I have finally fully committed to the trouble free pool system an have been unable to keep algae out. Have only gotten a couple good weeks of swimming out of it. Been fighting algae the rest. Almost ready to throw in the towel.

Charlie, here's my "go-to" instructions:
Proper lighting is critical for the CYA test, so you want to test for CYA outside on a bright sunny day. Taylor recommends standing outside with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body. Use the mixing bottle to combine/gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Then, while holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading.

A few big takeaways from that quote:
- Make sure you have a good, bright day outside when trying to read the tube
- Grasp the tube with only a couple fingers (i.e. thumb and index finger) at the top as to not shade the tube/dot
- Try adding some mixed solution, turn your head, then look back and repeat in stages. That helps some people. Simply staring like crazy at the dot just seems to make you think you're seeing something when you're not.
- Have someone else try viewing the black dot (don't tell them what you saw). Compare results. Repeat as much as necessary.

That CYA is a bit tricky at first, but you'll get it. It's critical when trying to adjust your FC to have a good CYA test result.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.