Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Automatic salt?

1. Back To Top    #1

Automatic salt?

Has anyone figured a way to have an automatic salt dispenser for use with a chlorine generator? I suppose it would need some kind of sensor to see when salt level is low. There doesn't seem to be anything on the market that I can find.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Working on a scheme to hard-plumb my 18' UltraFrame and add through-wall skimmer, vacuum port, fountain, pasive solar heater, and auto-fill water pipes. I know I can do it if I just get the valves right.... 😎

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Automatic salt?

It would rarely be necessary for most folks to need to add salt more than once a season if that..... you FL folks are at a bit of a disadvantage with all the rain you get. Each time it gets overfilled with rain and you pump out you lose some salt, right?

Salt it so easy to add (after testing levels, of course) that I'd just keep a bag or two in the garage for back up.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Automatic salt?

It's not easy from my perspective.... and yes special challenges in Florida - if it's not too much salt from the sun beating down evaporating the water, then it's too little salt from the rain pouring down and overfilling the pool.
    I have the pool at a very slight angle so overflow goes out one spot where I have drain tiles on the ground, and a small stock tank filler to keep the water level consistent, so mostly I'm dealing with low salt.
    I was thinking if there's no automatic sensor doohickey around, maybe I could rig up some sort of poolside storage thing where I could let out some salt into the pool as needed - maybe a modified pet feeder or some such. I don't have a garage so protected storage is an issue.