Hello from chicago

DLR

Aug 2, 2016
Island lake
I'm 43, Father of 4, married to a great women. I was given a pool a few years ago, wasn't sure of the condition it was in but the heat wave this year drove me to pull it out and put it up in a week. turned out to be in great shape was able level it within a half inch. Very proud of the fact that I have never owned a pool and turned out so awesome, Its like walking around on my patio. going back to the never owned a pool before, I will need a lot of help until I can get this chemistry under control. any help will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Hello form chicago

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Best thing we can advise at this point is proper water testing. The proper test kit (i.e. TF-100 or Taylor K-2006) is the foundation of your pool care. Why these kits? We've learned through extensive practice that you cannot reply on pool store testing, test strips, or simple over-the-counter kits. Personnel training, lighting, and product sales influence accurate testing too much. In addition, simple test kits do not read Free Chlorine (FC) or Cyanuric Acid (CYA) levels accurately or to the high levels we need. If you do not have a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kit, it should be your #1 priority. TFTestkits.net

Great to have you with us.

You are in a somewhat unique position of having a known CYA level - zero (there is zero in tap/well water). This gives advantages others don't have. CYA is generally the 2000 pound gorilla in the room that the pool stores dismiss. Be mindful of your CYA additions and you will be able to manage your pool effectively. Most pucks will add CYA, since you are close to the end of the season this may or may not cause you issues if you use the in-line chlorinator.

CYA is compared to sunblock for your free chlorine, aka FC. It helps protect FC from sun's UV rays by binding to it. This bind renders some FC as ineffective so your target FC levels have to go up as CYA rises. For folks that use a lot of powdered shocks or dichlor/trichlor pucks, the CYA levels can rise quickly and require prohibitive FC target levels so it needs to be managed properly. The recommended test kits allow accurate testing of your CYA (and everything else) whereas the pool store often lacks.

The downside of no CYA is that all your FC will be burned off by the sun in a matter of hours. Additionally, FC in pools without CYA is very damaging to equipment and people even at low levels.

I am not trying to overwhelm you, but rather hit a few high points to save you some grief potentially. Read all you can in Pool School and ask questions. There is a lot of information and expertise here and I believe the only 'official' cost is pictures of your setup. Enjoy that pool.

I don't have well water I used city water, but you are correct the second day after I filled the pool the test showed no chlorine as I was focusing on balancing ph and ta since my ta reading is super high. I put 3 hth ultra chlorine pucks in the chlorinator and poured a pound of shock in the skimmer tested it a couple of hours later everything was almost perfect fc 2 ppm ph 7.2 but the ta is still off the charts at 300 ppm.

TA will affect your pH rise, but it is generally the last item we recommend worrying about. FC and CYA should be your first focus, IMO. The only real effect of high TA is rapid pH rise. Fortunately a little bit of muriatic acid will lower both pH and TA. Sounds like you have a good handle.

update: pool chemistry is going in the right direction FC 1.5 PH holding at 7.2 because of the aeration trick with the TA dropping down to 220 with over 2 gallons of muriatic acid added over the past 2 days.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks like there is a The Great Escape in Algonquin. The one in Naperville sells the 12.5% liquid shock for $10 per case of four gallons. Should be the same price. Also the Muriatic acid is $5 per gallon. Menards in Crystal Lake may be an option..they have buy one get one free sales sometimes.

I pulled the plug on the pump that came with the pool. it was making a god awful whining noise when it was on, I found a great deal on amazon for the same pump with a 1.5 hp motor instead of the 1 hp the old pump had. and I also ordered a taylor k-2006 test kit to start this season off on the right foot.:D