Hi everyone, I have been researching a lot about how to maintain my pool...and I still feel like I don't know what to do and need it laid out for me. We just moved in and it was green...I kept shocking it and it turned clear, but when I do the test strips they left, it says there is no chlorine in it.
I am wondering exactly how to maintain my pool. I had a chlorine pool as a kid, and bromine seems so unknown to me now! The pool is outside, in direct sunlight. After reading up on bromine, I really don't know why they didn't just do chlorine..but maybe that is just because I am nervous and it is all unknown to me.
1. Do I just use the regular test kit that I would for a chlorine pool? I know there is the Taylor kit, but from what I understand it doesn't tell you how much bromine is in the pool?
2. The house also has a spa which has the bromine floater. Can I use the same floater for the pool? I don't see a separate one for the pool. The previous owner has tablets in the filter of the pool, but from research I have done, this seems like the wrong spot. The pool used to have an automatic dispenser when the pool was built..but I found it in the garage, haha, so I am assuming it came off when they disconnected the pool heater.
3. I have looked at another thread which I found helpful (How do I use Bromine in my spa (or pool)?)), but it seems so different from the chemicals left at the house when we bought it. They were using HTH step products (so the loose chlorine, shock treatment bags, and a preventative algae liquid). Do I use a mixture of what they left as well as the floating bromine tablets?
4. Since the pool is bromine, is it safe to say that the hot tub is also bromine? Do I just use the same process for the pool and the spa? (yes..as you can guess, I have yet to understand how to do the hot tub, really I am just avoiding it until I understand the pool).
5. The solar blanket is dark blue, but it is sitting on the fence and doesn't look like it is used often. Should I keep this on the pool whenever I am not using it to preserve bromine? I am assuming I cannot have the floating bromine at the same time. How often do you keep the floating bromine in the pool? I am assuming there is a test kit (maybe Taylor?) that will tell me when I can stop using the floater as levels have adjusted?
6. I used the test strips left at the house that say chlorine-free. I am now not sure if they are meant for the spa instead. Can I use them on the pool as well? I am confused as it says I have zero chlorine in the pool and it is not stabilized. There is green algae stuck to the sides and any crevices in the pool, as well as murky grey stuff (algae?) stuck to the bottom of the liner that won't come off with sweeping or vacuuming the pool. Any suggestions??
Ah!! Thank you in advance! Any and all help would be MUCH appreciated!