Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I continue to SLAM?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should I continue to SLAM?

So we lost our pump last week and I couldn't get replacement parts for almost a week. So our SWG was down and I wasn't able to maintain with bleach all week.

So once I got it back up and running, I brought it back up to normal levels and did an overnight loss test. Went from FC of 5 to 3.5 in the AM. Started a SLAM because while close re the overnight test, water looked a little off to me. Maintained it at SLAM level all day, ran the pump overnight. Went from 27.5 at 10pm to 25.5 at 7am the next morning. Brought back to SLAM, and last night it was 26.5 at 11pm. This morning @ 7am, 25.

Water looks good. I'm so close, yet 1.5FC loss over 8 hours seems a bit much, no?

Other levels-
    CC 0
    pH 7.4
    CYA 70
    TA 100
    CH 250
    Leisure Pools Riv 30, 8500 gal, IG fiberglass, 200 sqft cart filter (Clean & Clear 200), Intelliflo 3HP variable speed pump, Aqua Rite SWG, auto cover, installed 5/2013
    Aquacal Superquiet 110, installed 6/2014
    TFT 100

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Should I continue to SLAM?

If the SWG was running with the pump overnight, your OCLT wouldn't be so close
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
    If the SWG was running with the pump overnight, your OCLT wouldn't be so close
    Correct you are, except I'm not running the SWG overnight
    Leisure Pools Riv 30, 8500 gal, IG fiberglass, 200 sqft cart filter (Clean & Clear 200), Intelliflo 3HP variable speed pump, Aqua Rite SWG, auto cover, installed 5/2013
    TFT 100

4. Back To Top    #4

It doesn't matter. You lost more than 1ppm overnight so it is a fail.

From reading, it would appear you are only adjusting to shock level once a day. During a SLAM you need to test/adjust back to shock level a minimum of 3 times a day and brush the pool at least once. Am I mis-reading and you are doing this?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm maintaining shock level throughout the day as needed. Not brushing though, so I'll work on that today.
    TFT 100

6. Back To Top    #6

I have an auto-cover and have been leaving it open 24x7 while SLAMing. Would it help to close it during the day to keep the sun off the pool to help maintain FC?
    TFT 100

7. Back To Top    #7

We generally recommend leaving the pool uncovered so that the sun can break down the CC.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

And if no CC?
    TFT 100

9. Back To Top    #9

I will close mine at high FC levels for a while just to get the inside of the cover exposed and "cleaned". You could do it when you need to take an extended break from testing and adding for the slam.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    I will close mine at high FC levels for a while just to get the inside of the cover exposed and "cleaned". You could do it when you need to take an extended break from testing and adding for the slam.
    Also helpful when at work all day.

Still working on it. Lost 2FC last night. Brought it up to 31FC this morning, closed it up and went out for the day. At 30FC when I came home, so probably not a good sign as, since the cover is closed, no sun is hitting the water.

I'll check it a few hours before bed and see how it is and dose as needed before a final check at bed time.

Wish I was losing a LOT of FC so I could see things "improving" (Okay, maybe not!) Losing 2FC a night isn't helpful to see any real progress. Did a full vacuuming yesterday and will brush today. Probably doesn't help there was a giant bird turd at the bottom of the pool when I woke up this am.
    TFT 100