Pump burned out

Bbellz

Jun 10, 2015
Blue Bell, PA
Last year I had my pool renovated. Basically every pipe and piece of equipment expect the main drain pipe (10' below ground) was replaced. The pump I was given was a 1.5hp Hayward superpump. Its is hookup up to a Hayward DE progrid 60 filter. The pool is 30k gallons, has two skimmers, 4 returns and a raypak heater. The skimmer and return piping is 2", but the pump itself is 1.5" so it is stepped down. I also have a Hayward in-line chlorinator.

Fast forward a year and 2 months... I woke up early this past Sunday to vacuum the pool before our pool party. I turned the pump on and after about 10 seconds it started to smoke out of the pump vents. I shut it off removed the pump from its housing to see if the impeller was jammed. It was not it spun freely. I put it back together and turned it on. It got hot, smoked and tripped the breaker.

So I headed to Leslie Pools Supply to get ripped off on a pump motor that I needed same day. Yes I paid more than the entire Hayward 1.5" superpump new on amazon... I had little choice given the pool party and not wanted my perfect pool water to turn into an algae pond. So $380 later I have a new US Pool Motor 1.5" replacement motor with new seals for the impeller. For reference I think this is the motor I got http://www.lesliespool.com/us-motor...speed-threaded-motors/square-flange-motor.htm

I installed it no problem and it appears to operate fine. My questions are:

1. With my old pump the filter pressure would normally run 12 psi. The new pump runs at 16 psi. I thought perhaps the filter was clogged so in addition to backwashing I took out the filter grids and sprayed them off. Lots of white sand like material fell off. I figured that was clogging the flow increasing the pressure. I buttoned the filter back up and added 6lbs of DE and to my surprise the pressure was still 16 psi. Could it be the new 1.5" HP pump is just stronger than the old 1.5hp pump and thus creates more pressure?

2. How high does the pressure in the filter have to get before I get concerned?

3. My Hayward in-line chlorinator (which I don't fill with pucks unless I'm on vacation) I leave set to the max setting. There is 2" piping coming from the heater and 2" line going out to the returns from the Chlorinator. However the piping coming out of the chrloinator looks to be about 1" before it expands out to the 2" threaded mail pipe end. You can see this on the right side of the outlet in the attached picture ( https://www.google.com/search?q=hay...AUICigD&biw=997&bih=691#imgrc=HAkhSQ9sEtAh_M:) Could this be creating a choke point? I seems silly to me to make such a point of having a pool piped in 2" then having a chlorinator be your bottle neck. Or in my case the 1.5" inlet on the pool pump. Perhaps I'm over thinking this but curious what those knowledgeable have to say.

Thanks in advance.

The pump is pumping a little more water and that results in a little more pressure. It is fine it is normal. I wouldn't worry about pressure until something around 30 psi or more. I can't click out of the site to view the pic, maybe copy IMG code to embed the pic in your post. Photobucket works works great. It is not a big deal to have a small section of smaller pipe and the impact is minimal. Plumbing is about overall head loss. So, bigger pipes have less head loss. The more bigger pipes you have the less head loss in the system. A small section of smaller pipe will only reduce head a loss a small amount.

In the future if your pump goes out you can add bleach to the pool to maintain FC and brush to mix it in and it will be fine for however many days you need to.

The pump is pumping a little more water and that results in a little more pressure. It is fine it is normal. I wouldn't worry about pressure until something around 30 psi or more. I can't click out of the site to view the pic, maybe copy IMG code to embed the pic in your post. Photobucket works works great. It is not a big deal to have a small section of smaller pipe and the impact is minimal. Plumbing is about overall head loss. So, bigger pipes have less head loss. The more bigger pipes you have the less head loss in the system. A small section of smaller pipe will only reduce head a loss a small amount.

In the future if your pump goes out you can add bleach to the pool to maintain FC and brush to mix it in and it will be fine for however many days you need to.

Thanks for the response. I do add bleach daily, but I was concerned I couldn't mix it well without the pump circulating the water. Next time I'll add bleach and buy the pump online for 1/2 price!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.