Yellow scale in water after tapping into irrigation system for pool fill

Aug 3, 2016
Davis, CA
I have an older fiberglass pool. I just installed an auto pool filler to the side of the pool to maintain my pool water level due to evaporation. I used to fill by a hose almost daily. I tapped the auto pool fill into my irrigation system to avoid a malfunction which could spree water for hours. Thus, the irrigation system turns on daily for 1/2 hour to allow my pool to fill. Since I have done this, I now have a yellow scale on the side of my pool so I'm thinking it is unfiltered water from my irrigation system (I am guessing my faucet water cycles through my whole house water filter so I didn't have this issue before) I was thinking of installing a water filter to the irrigation line BEFORE the pool fill so water entering my pool would be filtered hopefully requiring less chemicals. Any suggestions on a type of filter? Brands? Other ideas? Thanks

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: While I can't advise you on a specific pre-filter, I would recommend having that irrigation water source tested for metals. If it's pushing iron into your pool, you'll end-up with a metals nightmare that will only make potential staining worse. Hopefully that yellow scale you're seeing isn't metal at all, but figured I'd mention that to be safe. Can you confirm how you are testing your water and post a full set of results? That might be reassuring as well.

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. Or you can click EDIT YOUR SIGNATURE. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post. Don’t forget to include your test kit in the signature. :)

Nice to have you with us.

Welcome to TFP!!!! :kim:

So first get out your handy TF 100 test kit and and test the water. No TF 100? Get one or K2006 from Amazon.

Then test the water coming into your house, the water coming out the kitchen tap, and the water in your irrigation system.

I have my doubts its metals because filters rarely remove all of them so you would already be having them.

I suspect calcium. So lets see what your calcium levels are in your water. Davis has mostly well water right now I believe so it may be calcium.

How old is your pool? Who built the pool? What is the surface? Plaster, pebbletec, quartz?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.