First time pool owner, pump ran dry ... Damage?

Aug 3, 2016
NY
Hi all, new here first time posting. We just bought our home within the year and have never owned a pool before. Well... We've had lots of rain around here and the pool was close to over flowing, so I decided to pump some water out of the pool. Totally forgot about it ... Finally remembered and the water level was just below the skimmer. I immediately shut everything off and left it be. Started doing some reading (which is how I came to this site) and started reading about things being melted etc , I saw someone had mentioned elsewhere to check the baskets in the skimmer and pump basket, neither of those are deformed at all... Hoping that is a good sign? :( I'd say it probably ran dry for no more than 3 hours maybe if that? (Not sure if that's enough time for serious damage , or maybe I'll be lucky?) Really just wanted to get some opinions from some smarter pool owners before I tackle this situation in the morning. (We have an in-ground pool w/ Hayward super pump ) thanks all!! I'm sorry if this topic has been brought up 100 times!

bring pool water level up to normal level and turn it on- it most likely survived: the fact you had something to shut off points to that. If pump was dead by that time it would be very quiet :)
I also have neighbors with some pool problem and I can hear their pump running dry for hours on regular basis and so far nothing happened to it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.