New pool owner needs help!!

Just purchased new DE filters after unsuccessful shocking treatment. After installing and adding 5lbs of diatomite filter aid my pump pressure increases 20psi. What do I need to get my psi back down to normal range

Welcome!

Please specify more details about your equipment (model #s for pump & filter at least) and post some pics of the plumbing to get specific advice. You stated 'filters' - how many? I have DE filter and it's only 1 and it is not even the biggest in the series.

Welcome to TFP!

Most filter problems are really water chemistry problems. Most water chemistry problems result in algae. Algea clogs up a filter faster than anything. To kill algae we follow this process, SLAM Process. To perform a SLAM you need a good test kit. I use theTF-100 from TFTestkits.net. it is the best value, here's why, Pool School - Test Kits Compared

Do some reading in Pool School
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Getting Started

Add you pool info to your signature as shown here, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Just purchased new DE filters after unsuccessful shocking treatment. After installing and adding 5lbs of diatomite filter aid my pump pressure increases 20psi. What do I need to get my psi back down to normal range

Let me see if I got the sequence correctly:
- you purchased and replaced internal filter grids
- then you added DE filter media to the skimmer and noticed your filter pressure is unusually high at 20 psi.

What pressure did you expect? I'm asking because my filter normally runs at that pressure.

Did you notice what pressure it was running at before you added DE media but after you assembled it back? If it was unusually high I'd open up the filter and recheck if the internals are assembled correctly.

The filter needs to be bled of air before DE is added for proper DE distribution.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.