Hayward IF code

May 5, 2015
Texas
2 weeks ago, my mowers hit my gas meter hard enough to put a hole in it.
I smelled gas and first thought was to shut off gas to the pool heater.

More searching and found the hole. Got the gas meter replaced.
Gas is flowing to hot water heater, stove, fireplace...

Turned the gas back on to the pool heater and I get IF code.
One thing to note is I never smell gas. I let it cycle about 20 times thinking it needed to purge air from the lines but still no gas smell and no ignition.

I turned the shut off valve into the heater both ways just for grins and no such luck.

I have done a bit of searching and all the links I come across mention an IF code but smelling gas.
I don't. Prior to this incident, you could really smell it prior to ignition.

The gas valve to the heater was shut off for about 2 weeks.

This is the style heater I have:
hayward250idl.gif.jpg
Thoughts?

Since you just got done repairing the gas meter, I would check the screen that is at the inlet to the gas valve on the heater. If they clog, you can get an IF alarm.

First, are you comfortable working with gas lines and do you know how to check them for leaks when you are done? If not, you are probably better off getting help.

Not professionally trained or anything but I have re piped my gas fire place and a few other things.
I spray soapy water on the pipes after and look for bubbles. Not sure if that is a good way to check for leaks but that is how I have found them in the past.

Ok, just wanted to make sure.

BTW, I forgot to ask, are you sure there is gas to the heater? There is usually a separate valve for that.

But assuming it was on and still IF, then after shutting off the gas line again, you can remove the gas line into the gas valve by taking apart the union, assuming there is one. The screen is usually right where the pipe enters the gas valve. Compressed air should clear it out.

BTW, did they put in a sediment trap in the line? That could have prevent any dirt from getting in the valve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.