Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Black growth on grotto

1. Back To Top    #1

Black growth on grotto

What is this black growth and how do I get it off? I tried scrubbing it, but it's not doing much.

My 2016 pool build Owner build 104' free form IG sport pool,20'x36' (18,300 gal)~7'x8' raised spa with spillover~Oklahoma flagstone coping~12" raised beam with dry stack wallC~Cascading waterfall grotto with flat moss rock~630 sqft salted concrete deck~Deep blue sea-prism matrix~2 Hp Jandy epump~1.5 Jandy stealth~CL580 cartridge filter~Jandy jxi heater~iaqua link 2.0 ~dolphin m500 robot~LED pool lights (2 pool, 1 spa)~TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Black growth on grotto

Have you tried pouring some bleach directly on an area? Curious to know if there's any difference.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

That's what I was thinking about doing or at least some diluted bleach, but I didn't know what that could do to the rock.

My 2016 pool build Owner build 104' free form IG sport pool,20'x36' (18,300 gal)~7'x8' raised spa with spillover~Oklahoma flagstone coping~12" raised beam with dry stack wallC~Cascading waterfall grotto with flat moss rock~630 sqft salted concrete deck~Deep blue sea-prism matrix~2 Hp Jandy epump~1.5 Jandy stealth~CL580 cartridge filter~Jandy jxi heater~iaqua link 2.0 ~dolphin m500 robot~LED pool lights (2 pool, 1 spa)~TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

This isn't going to be too helpful, but I was at a neighbors pool recently and they had this same black stuff on their rocks as well. I had my daughters hat in my back pocket and sat on one and the hat now has black all over it and nothing I've tried will remove it from the hat. So whatever it is sure is stubborn!!!

5. Back To Top    #5

It is very stubborn!! I'm worried about it spreading everywhere and my whole grotto looking nasty!

6. Back To Top    #6

A little bleach and water and LOTS of hard scrubbing is helping.

7. Back To Top    #7

Looks much better.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks! I can't even imagine how long it's going to take to to get all of it...ugh! I hope it doesn't just come right back.