Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Floating skimmer basket

1. Back To Top    #1

Floating skimmer basket

Just added a side skimmer to pool- no idea how to keep the blue basket from floating

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Floating skimmer basket

Throw a small rock in it.

Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by kplaster View Post
    Throw a small rock in it.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Seriously? I surfed YouTube and everywhere and no where did I find anyone with this problem - I figured it was user rookie mistake- I'll toss a rock in it

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by dmann View Post
    Seriously? I surfed YouTube and everywhere and no where did I find anyone with this problem - I figured it was user rookie mistake- I'll toss a rock in it
    Don't know much about those skimmers.Maybe someone has a suggestion.I put a small rock in my skimmer to hold it down

Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Can't you raise the white skimmer bucket the blue floating cover sits in. Mine is adjusted so the blue skimmer cover floats about 2-3" above the white bucket..
    Bob (AKA Schnozz)
    12 x 24 x 52 Intex Ultra Frame AGP, 8600 Gal; Pentair 2HP/2SP 150sqft Cartridge Filter; Hayward Through Wall Skimmer; Intex Automatic Cleaner (Fantastic); K-2006 Test Kit; Start-up 07/30/2015. First Time Pool Owner in SoCal.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

It is supposed to float freely. This is so that debris on the surface runs into it but can't come back out against the flow of the water running into it. Adjust the height of the holder so that the blue part has room to rise and fall with your water level, but not so low that it can float all the way out. And not so high that the blue part can't fall to the level of the water if your water level falls due to evaporation or splashout.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

7. Back To Top    #7

When I had an Intex pool and a skimmer like that, the skimmer bucket floated with the rim just below the surface of the water. it was designed to to that. From the pic it appears yours is floating above the surface of the water.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

8. Back To Top    #8

not to be harsh or anything but why your water looks green and cloudy? I barely can see a pipe going down in front of the pic. Normally you're supposed to be able to read what's written on that pipe .
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Don't put a rock in it, that will only keep the inside basket down. Schnozz and jeffchap got it right, loosen the plastic knob/screw and raise up the entire lower half an few inches.
    AG Round Intex Ultra Frame 16'x48", 5050 gallons
    Intex 28681EG / CS20110 Combo Sand Filter Pump & Salt Water System
    Intex Auto Pool Cleaner, Intex Wall Mount Skimmer, Intex LED Pool Sprayer
    TF-100, K-1766, Speedstir

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by fareal View Post
    Don't put a rock in it, that will only keep the inside basket down. Schnozz and jeffchap got it right, loosen the plastic knob/screw and raise up the entire lower half an few inches.

Will do! Thank you for the input

- - - Updated - - -

11. Back To Top    #11

I don't know about the pipe you are referring to but the last two days the water has turned ugly. New pump is ordered - we burned the crappy Coleman one up apparently - now the water has clouded and residue is starting to show on the floor- I thinks it's organic stuff from leaves etc. hopefully a strong sand filter will help clear this up - chemicals were tested and all seems to be okay -

12. Back To Top    #12

I don't know about the pipe you are referring to but the last two days the water has turned ugly. New pump is ordered - we burned the crappy Coleman one up apparently - now the water has clouded and residue is starting to show on the floor- I thinks it's organic stuff from leaves etc. hopefully a strong sand filter will help clear this up - chemicals were tested and all seems to be okay -
    Pump is important as well as filter but you have problem with water balance and leaves/debris don't actually affect water that much. I had rainstorms bring few inches of runoff into the pool due to drainage overflow along with dirt, etc and I was actually happy to see that as I needed rain water. The water looked worse than yours right after the event and it was back to crystal clear the next day. When I commented about reading letters on the pipes I was not kidding, I can read what's written on my Pool Cleaner body 8' down on deep end. After those rainfalls I couldn't see it down there at all. It was freaky sight to me - I could see pipe going down but it was simply disappearing within 3-4' .

Please take a look around, you might change your mind about pool care. This site promotes efficient and affordable pool care which saves money and ensures your pool is always safe and ready for a swim.
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit

13. Back To Top    #13

How are you testing your water? I hope it's not the "fool" store testing. Don't rely on pool store testing it will only lead you to grief, a very skinny wallet and a pool full of nasty stuff. You could got to 4 different stores with the same sample of water and get 4 very different readings. It can also vary within the same store as well.

That pool water looks very sickly. Here's a pic of my pool that is also the same as yours. You need to get some chlorine in there soon.

Coleman 5300 gal 16'x48" AGP
    Intex Krystal Clear 2800gph Sand Filter Pump 28647EG (56673EG)
    Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System ECO 8110
    Taylor K-2006 & K-1766 test kits w/ Speedstir and Samplesizer

14. Back To Top    #14

Also if you have two suctions place they gray plug with a small hole in your other suction and it will help the skimmer have enough suction to keep it just below the surface.

15. Back To Top    #15

If your pump is off in the picture you posted the vortex should pull the blue basket down into the skimmer body when the pump is on.

As for the condition of the water you have the beginnings of an algae bloom and you need to complete the SLAM process to clear it up. Filtration alone will not clear algae from your pool.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by zea3 View Post
    If your pump is off in the picture you posted the vortex should pull the blue basket down into the skimmer body when the pump is on.

As for the condition of the water you have the beginnings of an algae bloom and you need to complete the SLAM process to clear it up. Filtration alone will not clear algae from your pool.

Pump is so weak it's pointless to have the basket on- just added Algaecide treatment and shock - next going to vacuum and clean filter - we are cleaning the filter like crazy till we get this cleared up

17. Back To Top    #17

Pump is so weak it's pointless to have the basket on- just added Algaecide treatment and shock - next going to vacuum and clean filter - we are cleaning the filter like crazy till we get this cleared up
    You're making this much harder than necessary, this includes spending money on chemicals which don't do any good for your pool. It's good you don't have huge pool so future water replacement won't be financially prohibitive. You can avoid all that and actually enjoy your pool, you know?

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by max2k View Post
    You're making this much harder than necessary, this includes spending money on chemicals which don't do any good for your pool. It's good you don't have huge pool so future water replacement won't be financially prohibitive. You can avoid all that and actually enjoy your pool, you know?

Would be nice for you to offer constructive information instead of negative remarks you know? I'm doing my best and whose to say these chemicals aren't necessary- I was enjoying my pool just fine till the pump stopped doing its job and thus I have new problems to manage

- - - Updated - - -

Took a sample it Leslie's - my CYA 20 and phosphates 200- everything else good

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

Unfortunately TFP doesn't mix with pool store advice or testing. You really need your own quality test kit and to stop going to the pool store.

No one is being negative, we would rather not see you waste your time and money on chemicals that are going to run you in circles.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

20. Back To Top    #20

Just added a side skimmer to pool- no idea how to keep the blue basket from floating

Close pic of the residue on the bottom as well as the ladder -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast