Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dead bird in skimmer- slam?

1. Back To Top    #1

Dead bird in skimmer- slam?

Was away yesterday for work, got home this evening and checked my chlorine per usual. Sitting at 6, happy times. Went to empty skimmer basket, and there is dead bird floating there. Removed said bird, but now I'm wondering if I should slam. And maybe change cartridges? I know birds can carry disease so that has me a little worried. Even with the 6ppm chlorine currently present. What would you guys and gals do?
    15x30 Above ground of unknown origin. Hayward cartridge filter w/2HP Pump. Aquabot Rover Robotic Cleaner. BBB and Relax.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dead bird in skimmer- slam?

Just raise FC 2-4 ppm and it will be fine.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Just raise FC 2-4 ppm and it will be fine.
    + 1

If the dead bird didn't cause FC to drop...no worries. I.....on the other hand found a dead rat stuck to the wier door (dead) with his/her droppings below where they/it got stuck. I went to shock level for that. I think rats carry more diseases than birds.

Maybe overkill.....no pun intended.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by AimeeH View Post
    + 1

If the dead bird didn't cause FC to drop...no worries. I.....on the other hand found a dead rat stuck to the wier door (dead) with his/her droppings below where they/it got stuck. I went to shock level for that. I think rats carry more diseases than birds.

Maybe overkill.....no pun intended.
    IMO it's mostly psychological- even at normal FC levels pathogens survive for less than a minute in the properly maintained pool. Great thing about algae is it tolerates higher chlorine concentration than pathogens so if you don't see it then nothing else lives there.
    According to some articles from this site fungus is surprisingly harder to kill than even algae. Luckily it needs a host to survive so if you don't have a kid with ring worm swimming in your pool you're fine from that side as well.
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks all for the reassurance, i raised chlorine 4ppm. Now I have some piece of mind.
    15x30 Above ground of unknown origin. Hayward cartridge filter w/2HP Pump. Aquabot Rover Robotic Cleaner. BBB and Relax.