New DIY build Huntsville, AL

Jun 1, 2013
Huntsville AL
Finally started my build on Saturday. It is a 20x40 liner pool with full width steps. I purchased the kit from pool warehouse. I am still waiting on a few things from pool warehouse and the service there has not been that great. I ordered my kit and it took 6 weeks to come in. I was told 2 -3 weeks and 3 being the most. So pool kit showed up and delivery guy wanted me to look at everything before we unloaded. Lets just say it looked rough! All of my bags of sand had holes in them some completely empty. One pool wall was bent and over half of my coping was damaged.

My pump was missing, skimmers missing, and handrail anchors. I am also still waiting on the sand replacement and coping. I will say anyone who buys a kit from them get everything in writing including delivery date. I dealt with Luke and he bragged about how good their customer service was when i mentioned going with Royal Swimming pools. Once I took a picture of my check and sent it in I never got to talk to Luke again. The secretary said it was out of his hands now. So Luke went from calling me daily to see if I had questions, to not taking my calls after the sale.
11c6b452-824c-45e9-9868-5451da0f0c36.jpg
D024773A-293D-4980-B688-7F662E1AAC8C.jpg
03AA586E-6598-4E6F-9913-9B2BDBFBACC2.jpg

3CF2E48F-AF82-4416-B654-15B1C1F28E12.jpg

Sounds like my experience with them. I started nit picking every little thing and made them reship everything based on how bad there customer service was. I swear they started ignoring my calls. My 90 degree corners were 80 at best and I had to take apart the rivets just to complete the job. I understand shipping can be a rough process, yet if they just spent a little more time wrapping the product this could be prevented. Sorry you had to go through with this as well, they are scumbags.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Also my 10ft fiberglass roman stairs were 9'11-1/4. I had to make up 3/4 inch just to make the stairs fit. The coping they sold me did not work with the stairs, after 2 weeks of arguing they sent me a different style.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Well things are moving along a lot quicker than I thought it would. Not gonna lie its a lot of hard work though.

Since I am not far our from dropping the liner I went ahead and tested my tap water. Got half the pool bottom in today and got rained out. I got all the plumbing finished except for one skimmer and I decided to add 2 jets in the steps.
Tap water test
PH 7.5
TA 80
CH 150PPM
TC 2.0
CL 1

Can someone help me out on what amount of chemicals I need to stock up on for when the pool is full (22,519 gallons) I still have not figured out how to calculate that part. Headed over to pool school now! What are the best places to buy baking soda, borax, bleach, and acid. I have a sams club and a costco available.

While tap water gives us some clues as to what you might expect later, testing the pool full will yield the best results. But you can be sure you'll need at least some bleach (regular) for FC, some stabilizer for a minimum CYA target of 30 (you might want to go to 40-50 with the heat), and perhaps some muriatic acid to control (lower) pH and TA should they rise after filling. I wouldn't get much else until you fill and test the water after letting it circulate a bit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It would have been better to wait until the pump could run before filling. However, if it's my pool, I would add liquid CYA shooting for 30, and add a gallon of bleach and then brush the whole pool every day until the pump can run. That should mix things up "enough". If you have a robot even better.

you can add the CYA to 30-45 and bleach now as mentioned above and use a brush to mix it, or if you have a submersible pump drop that in to get things circulating. You can use pool math at the top of the page to determine the amount to maintain the FC but for now just add 1 gallon of household bleach not scented or splash-less.

Ok I just tested my FC and CYA
FC did not turn pink so it is 0
Black dot never disappeared so CYA is 0

So according to my pool size 22,519 gallons Pool math shows I need to add 90oz by weight to go from 0 to 30 on Cya which comes to a little over 5.5lbs. I picked up the clorox pool and spa chlorine stabilizer at walmart. It comes in 4lb containers so I went ahead and got 2 of them. Does this sound right?

I am trying to get my 2 speed pump wired in. Called my electrician and he wasn't sure either.
Pump diagram shows line1 - - line 2
I have a intermatic 104r timer and a switch on off on
I thought the #2 on timer goes to common on pump. Then two wires for high and low speed go to each side if switch. Then the #4 on timer goes to center of the switch.
If all that seems right my question is which one is the common on the pump?

High speed diagram shows screws 1and2 on motor
Low speed shows screws 1and3

I assume that you want to use the timer to start and stop the pump and use the center off switch to control the speed, is that correct?

If so, then you need to wire it like the below drawing.

T104R, On-Off-On Switch-Model.jpg
I didn't show the ground, just be sure to hook it to the ground screw in the timer and continue it through to the motor ground screw.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't draw it like you described it, but your description of it would work as well. It doesn't matter whether you switch L1 or L2.

Yes I want to use timer to start and stop and switch to change from high to low. I am still trying to figure out your drawing!
So basically I have one wire on number one on the pump. That wire goes to number two on timer.
Now the two wires on pump 2&3 go to each side of the switch. Then center wire on switch goes to timer on 4.

Thought bout it and I believe your drawing is the same as I have it. I just have the switch coming off of 4 on timer. Then pump coming to 2.

Thanks for the help

Sorry I wasn't on yesterday, but life gets in the way sometimes.

Your right, our wiring is the same except for which terminal we used for the switch. But, it really doesn't matter which terminal you use, either way will work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.