KW1981 inherited a giant Above Ground Pool

KW1981

Aug 2, 2016
Tipton Co, TN
Bought a house with a huge AGP. 33' Round. Prior owners either lost interest in swimming or were the most lucrative frog breeders this side of the Mississippi. Pump was a 2.5hp Hayward and was shot and it looks like they left it that way for a couple seasons. The largest I could find to replace it was a 1.5HP so that's what I'm running right now.

After a much needed near full drain-to-scoop literally FEET of decaying leaves and filth, I'm back to slightly cloudy but blue water at refill. Still shocking with 10% bleach and running the filter 24/7 in anticipation of the arrival of a real test kit instead of these lacking 7-n-one strips. Pondering life choices and whether the remaining cloudy brown bits on the bottom are dead algae and detritus or mustard algae that's lying dormant like a den of angry badgers. Vac to waste just seems to stir it up. Ugh.

Maybe, if I'm lucky, I'll swim in it this summer. If not, it'll be clean as a whistle by closing time and hopefully won't be a nightmare to open next spring.

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: At the very least it sounds like you have the right test kit on its way so that you can actually do things right. Once your kit comes in post a full set of numbers and we'll do what we can to help you. Nice to have you and the "swamp" with us. :)

Thanks! TFP method just makes sense for those of us who are a half-hour's drive from the nearest supermarket, never mind a pool store.

Well, it started out a gross swamp. Smelled horrible. I broke a couple leaf bagger nets before deciding there was too much muck in the bottom to try and scoop it all from above. Drained, mucked it out and refilled it without tearing the liner thankfully. I'd been lurking and reading up on the slam process. I've been hitting it with 10% chlorine based on the pool calc figures alone while awaiting a more exact test kit and to keep any nasties from growing in there in the meantime. We are in the "high 90s with afternoon storms" pattern since the refill. Perfect for algae blooms.

I've also got a set of weighted plastic steps that go in there, but cannot figure out how to open the weight tubes. It sounds like there's gravel in them. I scrubbed the steps with bleach solution this weekend, but I'm concerned about the gravel being laden with algae spores. Probably end up making a thread on that somewhere later.

Yes, I suspect those steps will be one of your biggest ad most back-breaking challenges. They are notorious for hiding algae. Put your thinking cap (and back brace) on in case those need to come out. :) Good luck, and feel free to post some pics of your project as it goes on.

Yes, I suspect those steps will be one of your biggest ad most back-breaking challenges. They are notorious for hiding algae. Put your thinking cap (and back brace) on in case those need to come out. :) Good luck, and feel free to post some pics of your project as it goes on.

Thankfully they were already out of the pool when I bought the place. Made them easy to really clean well. The weights have these weird caps that look like they come off. I just can't get them off there to dump the loose gravel inside. I'll post about it when the time comes to sink the steps back in there again.

I'll post some pics soon. Not much to see now except cloudy-ish blue water. Hopefully with a proper test kit and the wealth of info on TFP I'll be swimming in the next few weeks!