Can't get those tiny dust particles out! Any ideas?

Jul 25, 2016
Barcelona, Spain
I always have a bunch of tiny dust particles on the bottom of my pool. I use floculant (maybe not enough, not sure) and while my Dolphin is working i leave the pump on.
I get the feeling that the Dolphin is just throwing the dust around because when it's cleaning the pool looks great but after an hour or so the bottom is full of particles again.

I hope you can see them on the photos.

20160802_085247.jpg20160802_085310.jpg20160802_101838.jpg

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ton.

Im currently in the same situation... could be dust, could be dead algae... Either way, Im contemplating doing the DE add to my filter because as soon as I vacuum it up I just get more.
The dolphin may just be stirring it up when it passes by...

What model of Dolphin Robotic cleaner do you have? Some of the newer models have ultra-fine filters and can vacuum dust particles pretty well. My Nautilus Plus has such filters and I'm always amazed by the amount of fine dust-like particles it picks up. I suggest you carefully check your robot to see if anything is clogged or damaged.
:sunny:

What model of Dolphin Robotic cleaner do you have?

Dolphin Zenit 10 (sig updated).

I suggest you carefully check your robot to see if anything is clogged or damaged.

What would i be looking for? I regularly change the filters and all seems to be ok. Maybe the valves in the bottom of the filter compartment? What i never clean actually is the fan on the top. I don't see the need for that.

Does fluculant help in this case? Or am i understanding things wrongly?

Ton.

well, if it's dead algae (and I think it is), that means you have live algae in your pool and no amount of filtering will get rid of it.

Chlorine will keep re-occurring "dust""dirt""pollen" out of your pool because it kills the live algae (which is what it usually is) that is the cause of the recurrence.

Elevate your chlorine to twice normal and hold it there for a couple of days. That usually clears it up.

Elevate your chlorine to twice normal and hold it there for a couple of days. That usually clears it up.

I was just curious when you say 'twice normal' level for chlorine, does that mean twice the minimum for his CYA level? or twice the level that he normally doses to with his daily chlorine dosage up to his shock/slam level for his CYA. Sorry if this obvious, but I just wasn't sure what you meant by 'twice normal".

Thanks,
cruiser310

Dolphin Zenit 10 (sig updated).

What would i be looking for? I regularly change the filters and all seems to be ok. Maybe the valves in the bottom of the filter compartment? What i never clean actually is the fan on the top. I don't see the need for that.

Does fluculant help in this case? Or am i understanding things wrongly?

Ton.

A Zenit 10 appears to be a euro version of the Nautilus plus. Definitely check the impeller for debris. The owners manual has a good picture showing how to do that:http://manuals.maytronics.com/images/chapters/top8/big/filter/impeller_cover1.jpg. Additionally, be certain you are using the fine porosity filters. There are two types that came with your Dolphin and the finest mesh are the ones you want to use for your situation.

Flocculant should help "gather" smaller particles into larger ones for easier filtration. However, I agree with duraleigh, what you're seeing may be dead algae and you need to elevate your chlorine level for a few days.

Chlorine on high level, but still the dust in the pool. I don't seem to get rid of it. Maybe try a manual vacuum cleaner?

can you vacuum this to waste manually after it settles at the bottom next time?

this forum promotes slightly different approach to pool care which is more scientific if you wish. It starts from getting good test kit to know your exact chem levels and it uses very simple chemical system which consists of liquid chlorine as sanitizer and simple pH adjusters. No flocculants or other chems are ever needed in the common cases. Since you're from Spain nobody asked yet about your test results :) but in general we prefer hard numbers like FC = 5 ppm and not low/high/etc as that all relative.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How's that then? When you're from Spain nobody is interested in the test results? Or is the situation for Spain different? What's up with that?
BTW, the levels i try to maintain are in my sig now. Please let me know if i need to go up or down with those.

Is TF-100 test kit available there? That's what we use around here and it makes things easier as we know it has proven accuracy / repeatability so we can compare one pool to another.
When you say CL = 0.3-0.6 mg/L which is the same as 0.3 - 0.6 ppm we can't really compare it to what we usually see as we have no idea how that was measured. We also don't know what other chemicals you might use to keep algae at bay- your chlorine level looks unusually low.

IIRC FC = 2 ppm will drop to 0 in outdoors pool in about 2 hours due to the Sun UV radiation if you don't have any stabilizer in there. From that point of view your pool has 0 chlorine almost all the time or you have some other way to keep it sanitized.

As you probably see we have reasons to ask new members to purchase TF-100 kit and post the following test results so some more specific recommendations could be made:

FC=
CC=
CYA=
pH=
TA=

Is TF-100 test kit available there?

Don't know. Have to look around. So far i haven't seen them in shops. Maybe online.

When you say CL = 0.3-0.6 mg/L which is the same as 0.3 - 0.6 ppm we can't really compare it to what we usually see as we have no idea how that was measured. We also don't know what other chemicals you might use to keep algae at bay- your chlorine level looks unusually low.

Only Clorine tablets (which probably have a lot of other stuff in them as well) and "pH increase", that's what it's called here.

As you probably see we have reasons to ask new members to purchase TF-100 kit and post the following test results so some more specific recommendations could be made:

Got the message. Will look around.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.