Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No water returning into pool from return lines

1. Back To Top    #1

No water returning into pool from return lines

Hello, all. I'm stumped by this. The pump is running strong, water comes in from the skimmer and the main drain. If I loosen the pressure valve on the DE filter, water spurts right out. But nothing is coming out of the return lines, except a very few bubbles if I've restarted the pump. I would expect the water level to go down if there's a leak somewhere, but it remains even. Any ideas what I can try on my own before I have someone come out and do expensive troubleshooting? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: No water returning into pool from return lines

Welcome to TFP!

What is the filter pressure now? What is clean pressure? Maybe it's time to clean it?

More here on that,
    Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters
    Use and care for DE filters
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome_KY View Post
    Hello, all. I'm stumped by this. The pump is running strong, water comes in from the skimmer and the main drain. If I loosen the pressure valve on the DE filter, water spurts right out. But nothing is coming out of the return lines, except a very few bubbles if I've restarted the pump. I would expect the water level to go down if there's a leak somewhere, but it remains even. Any ideas what I can try on my own before I have someone come out and do expensive troubleshooting? Thanks in advance for any help.
    Could it be directed to spa 100%? It must go somewhere if you observe it going into skimmer .
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I hope your backwash valve isn't open..
    Older in ground oddly shaped pool 24,000 gallons gunite
    Hayward EC 75 De filter w/ fingers
    no multi port valve

5. Back To Top    #5

Put up some pics of your plumbing. Somebody's bound to see something.
    "...chemistry is not an exact science" -Mario Andrada, Rio 2016 Olympics spokesman
    21' x 52" Radiant Metric Round ~10K gal AGP with Hayward S180t pump/sand filter.
    Caldera (Watkins) Martinique 340 gallon installed in basement, Bromine and ozone.
    Taylor K-2006 test kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

The filter has new brand new fins and just added DE. I've never had dirty filter prevent all water from returning to the pool.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by max2k View Post
    Could it be directed to spa 100%? It must go somewhere if you observe it going into skimmer .
    There are 2 pipes going to the jandy valve. I've tried it with 1 closed, then the other, then neither. Nothing changes.

8. Back To Top    #8

I think a pic or two would be good here. Have you tried linking your photos from Photobucket? That's what many of us do here on TFP. Upload your pics to Photobucket (free), then copy & paste the IMG code for that pic from Photobucket to your TFP post. Works great.

Also, you can try going to the bottom of your quick reply post where it says “Go Advanced”, and then down to where it says “Manage Attachments”. It may let you upload them that way. They may show-up large because you can't adjust the size of the attachment, but it may work.

Obviously a few folks here who would like to see you solve this riddle.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!