Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: White residue on stone

1. Back To Top    #1

White residue on stone

What is this and how should I clean it. In case it doesn't come through in the pics, it's a white residue that appears to be leaking from our rocks/stone onto the tile. It's on the side of the hot tub as well as stones under the waterfall. (No picture of waterfall) I've tried scrubbing with various things. It's like a glue or cement. It's very hard.

[/URL]
    31K gal, IG pool & Spa, Tropics Blue pebble, Jandy 2.0 VarSpd, Jandy 60 SqFt DE Filter, AquaPure Salt System, Jandy LRZ400 Htr, Polaris 280 cleaning sys, Jandy PDA PS6 Computer, Estimated completion 7/25/14

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: White residue on stone

It is either efflorescence pushing through the mortar or it is scale.

Muriatic acid will take it off.

Your water is very likely to scale and you need to manage your CSI. Enter all your results into PoolMath and it will give you a CSI score. Keep that number -0.3 to 0 to prevent scale. Adjust pH and TA to change the CSI. More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. How should I clean it with Muriatic acid? Dilute (what ratio) and apply with a brush?
    31K gal, IG pool & Spa, Tropics Blue pebble, Jandy 2.0 VarSpd, Jandy 60 SqFt DE Filter, AquaPure Salt System, Jandy LRZ400 Htr, Polaris 280 cleaning sys, Jandy PDA PS6 Computer, Estimated completion 7/25/14

4. Back To Top    #4

You can try diluting it 1 to 1 with water but stone guys usually use it straight. In a spray bottle is probably best and then brush it.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Wear gloves! That stuff is dangerous. When I got my pool it had calcium spots like that. I mixed it 50/50 and put it in a pesticide spray can made for chemicals, the kind you pump up and it sprays a fine mist. Spray, let it foam, hit it with the water hose. Repeat. Many times. It'll disappear in a few minutes.

Curtis- 20k gallon IG gunnite/plaster with hot tub/waterfall and "grotto"
    All Jandy equipment: 60sqft DE filter - 399k btu natural gas heater - Stealth pumps - iAquaLink RS8.
    Polaris 9400 on patrol.
    TF-100 in da house/TFP method in effect: FC=4-6, pH=7.5, TA=80, CH=250, CYA=50, Borate=50, CSI=-0.21

6. Back To Top    #6

That stuff is annoying and recurring. I've used razor blade scraper on the tiles. Probably should try the spray acid/scrub for the rock. Balance!
    14,000 Gal, InGround, Spa Attached, Satin-Matrix Northshore Tahoe Pebble-Tec, Remodel 6/15, Taylor K-2006 Kit, Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump, Polaris 280 Sweep, Jandy CL460 Cartridge Filter, Solar Heated. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Muratic acid

In-ground; 34,000 gal; Pentair Equipment; Hot tub; Bench Entry; Weeping Wall; Happy Family