Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward skimmer issue.

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward skimmer issue.

Hi, my installer put in a Hayward wide mouth skimmer. The bottom has 2 holes, one to the main drain and one to the pump. When the pump runs, all the water gets drawn from the skimmer mouth. How do I get the main drain to work? Is there a plastic elbow or anything of the sort? I can't imagine Hayward making a setup like this and not ever being able to switch on the main drain.

14X28 Inground, StaRite System 3 cartridge Filter 300sq/ft, StaRite Max-E-Therm 200k Btu, Iaqualink, Jandy AquaPure 1400, Purelink Power Centre, Sta-Rite 2 speed 1 1/2 - 1/4 main pump, Sta Rite 1HP for waterfall.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward skimmer issue.

Welcome to TFP!

You need a diverter valve. Sunplay.com and INYO Pool sell them.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Hayward skimmer issue.

I should have included a picture, whatever is to be done, must be done in the skimmer. The pool is already built. The main drain hose terminates in the skimmer.

14X28 Inground, StaRite System 3 cartridge Filter 300sq/ft, StaRite Max-E-Therm 200k Btu, Iaqualink, Jandy AquaPure 1400, Purelink Power Centre, Sta-Rite 2 speed 1 1/2 - 1/4 main pump, Sta Rite 1HP for waterfall.

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Hayward skimmer issue.

You don't have any valves at the equipment pad to control the water drawn from either main drain or skimmer? How many pipes do you have coming out of the ground going to the pump?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain