FC registers 0

Aug 1, 2016
Asheville, NC
Hello!

I found this site after deciding that we are spending too much on chemicals from the pool store. I'm excited to take care of our own pool. I just ordered a TFTestkits TF-100, but it won't be here for a few weeks.

About 3 weeks ago, we had been on vacation for a week, so we took a sample to the pool store, and our pool pH and alkalinity were out of whack. We added what they sold us, but our FC stayed at nil, even after shocking several times. However, our pool water looks beautiful at the moment, clear and clean.

Meanwhile, we've been using test strips. I know they're not as accurate, but--
FC 0
pH 6.8 (very low)
alkalinity 125 (OK range)

It's been hot here every day (upper 80s) with a thunderstorm most afternoons, so the pool has water evaporating as well as rain water added. I used the PoolMath and it calculates that I need to add 2.4 jugs of chlorine and 4 boxes of borax.
I'm worried about waiting on a test kit and not working on getting the FC level up.

Would you recommend I add bleach (gallon/ day) while I wait on the test kit? Hold off on Borax or go ahead with that as well? Should I utilize the pool store until I get the test kit?

Thanks for any help or recommendations!

Welcome to TFP!

Do you know if there is any CYA/stabilizer in the pool?

Yes, add chlorine to at least 3 ppm daily. And yes, raise PH to 7.2 to 7.4.

Maybe if you use strips and pool store test you might get close.

I don't think there's any CYA at this point. When we went to the dealer on 7/19, it was at 99, but there's no way of knowing now until I get the test kit (ordered from TFTestkits and will probably ship today).

We added 1 gallon of chlorine last night, was in OK range after a few hours, and then this morning registers none.

I'm heading to Walmart today to buy more bleach and will add as needed. Should I also go ahead and buy CYA and borax?

Thanks!

You can buy some CYA but keep the receipt... If its at 99 as the dealer suggested, you wont need to add any... We will be able to help more once the TF100 arrives.. until then, not much you can do other than add bleach and brush to keep whatever is eating you chlorine off the walls...

100 is the limit of the CYA test. It is possible that your CYA is higher than 100. If your first result is 100, you should dilute the pool water with 50% tap water and double the result. You don't need any more CYA at this point.

Go ahead and pick up bleach, but hold off on purchasing anything else until we get your first results.

Thanks so much! I'm worried about my kids and their friends swimming in the pool. Is it really not safe right now as I've read elsewhere on this site?

I'm going to Walmart right now and will add bleach today. Can I add more than a gallon/ day to get the FC number up?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Technically you could add more than a gallon right now but its a blind addition and we don't like doing that. A gallon a day will keep you in the 3 FC range for now but since we don't know what your levels are at, we cant make any recommendations on how to proceed.

No more sticks and shock for your pool.. just bleach for now until you get everything under control.

In the mean time, read thru all the links in my sig block and get familiar with your targets and the ABC's. The more knowledge you acquire, the easier pool maintenance will be

Just got back from Walmart and put in a gallon of bleach. Will keep up with the gallon/day until I get the test kit. I've done a ton of reading through this site in the last few days. You're all correct, I can't do much until I get the test kit because I don't have all the info I need.

Thank you all for all your support.

Just FYI, the water is safe to swim in if it's clear so you can see the bottom of the pool, your FC level is between the minimum and shock level for you CYA (Chlorine/CYA Chart) and your pH is between 7.2 and 7.8. As it stands right now, I wouldn't swim in it until you get the pH straightened out and find out what your CYA is so you can get your FC on target.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.