Water appearance under Pump lid

Aug 1, 2016
Brisbane
I've just installed a new O ring on the clear filter lid of my pump as there was an air leak when the pump was turned off (possible also when running).

Previously the water looked like a washing machine under the pump lid, but now once the small air bubbles work their way out it almost looks like there is no water at all under the lid. Is this just a sign that the pump is fully primed or should it still look like a washing machine?

The creepy crawly is still going strong and I can feel water returning from the jets, but no bubbles at all.

Also this week my shutoff valve stoped working so when I open the pump lid water rushes out and I have to remove the basket and close the lid quickly!

(This is my 3 week of living with a pool!)

In ground salt pool.

Absolutely! Your system will work much stronger now.

Try putting a tennis ball in front of the intake hose.....it'll slow the water down. Best bet, fix the shut-off.

Good to know. I thought as much, although I was paranoid as the shut of valve failed the same time it started priming to perfection!!

Someone once said the water should look like a washing machine. Is that just plan wrong or is the washing machine look still ok but better it primes so well it looks like their is no water in the basket?

Its working as it should. I had this same issue on mine this week, my o-ring was leaking to the point of it was getting air into my filter every night and the pump lid looked like a washing machine. Once I got it fixed up I had much better flow. Amazing what a little air leak can do to your pumping flow!

Also make sure you clean out that basket regularly. I had a situation last week during a storm that I had to go clean the skimmer and pump basket of leaves during the storm to keep her going. It picked up so much debris in a course of an hour that it was starting to restrict flow, I noticed a sound pitch change in the motor when sticking my head outside and knew something was up which is when I found everything plugged up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.