New pool in AZ. Lets get it started right.

Jul 4, 2016
Sun City, AZ
Hello, my name is Jeremy, currently living outside of the Phoenix area. Had to get a pool put in after moving here and experiencing the summer. We put in a small 10k pebblesheen pool which should be perfect to cool off a little. Finished the build last week, pebble put down Thursday and they acid washed and buffed Friday. Pool builder didn't send anyone out to startup until today though Monday Aug 1. System is up and running now with pump going continuously 24/7 for the next week, guy also said he would be back after 7 days which seems excessive to me for a startup. Luckily I read around the forums/pool school and had the TF-100 test kit in my hands over a month ago.

I know the guy added muriatic acid to the pool and tossed a floater in with some pucks(I won't be using pucks except maybe initially to bring up CYA and if I ever happen to go on vacation). Other than that he said nothing about chemistry except they will check it in 7 days when they come back. That isn't good enough for me, doesn't even follow the guidelines the pebbletec company has listed for a startup. So I just went out and tested the pH and TA so that I can at least keep it somewhat in line with pebbletecs start guidelines and the recommended values listed here.

My results were pH 7.0ish as what I make out from the color, maybe closer to 6.9 as it doesn't look like the color is quite what a mix of 6.8 and 7.0 would be. TA I get around 180-190. So here is where I am wondering what recommendations you guys would have. PT SU guidelines say to start at 7.0-7.2 which it looks like I am close to the bottom(I am also aware the pH will rise as curing goes on with it being greater at the beginning since the pool is new. Recommended TA is 80 from them which falls into the TFP recommended 70-90. From my reading around here it looks like the best way to lower TA is to keep raising and lowering pH?

So my thinking is let pH creep up to the higher limit and keep lowering it which should then lower the TA eventually until which point I can keep it in line with baking soda? Thanks for any suggestions. I am about to go and get full results for everything.

pH- 6.9/7.0
TA- 180-190

Full set of tests would be good, but you are on the correct track, don't worry about the TA too much it will come down on it's own as you add acid. You may need to buy some stabilizer aka CYA if the PB did not put any in. The tablets will add as you indicated but if you are starting from 0 your chlorine is going to burn off faster than it should and that could lead to problems.

Post up a full set of tests so we can give you recommendations based on solid numbers

Here we go, got to do a full set of tests. I will tell ya, the speedstir is a fantastic thing to have.

FC - 4.0
CC - 0
pH - roughly 6.9-7.0
TA - 180
CH - 150
CYA - 0

So my goal is to add CYA for a goal of 40, add for a CH of around 300. Question is should I bump up the pH or let it go up itself and should I bump up FC right now or just wait til tomorrow when I test again?

I wold Leave the FC alone till tomorrow see how far it drops on it's own.

I would add CYA to around 30 and test for it a full 2 days after you add it. till then just assume it's at 30. If the test shows you hit 30 you know your pool volume is near correct (you would be surprised how often builders miscalculate volume). From there you can add an additional CYA or use tabs in a floater if provided by the builder up to whatever level you are targeting, your choice.

pH will most likely be in range by tomorrow without you having to do anything extra.