Painting pool

Aug 1, 2016
springhill fl
i just used insl-x painton an inground. i used a product called marquis base-mix. its an exposed aggregate product. that was the only issue. floating it out was not fun. i let it dry just for a a day, per recommendation from the manufacturer based on where i live.some spots were down to concret, others were just normal wear. the insl-x paint was only $42 per gallon @ lowes, & my 7500 inground only took 3 gallons to finish. the 1st coat u could obviously see the patch from the original. since i live in florida i painted at night. let set up for 2 days, then put the 2nd coat. i admit im suprised on how smooth the 2nd coat made it look. a tip i learned myself, since i was using a broken concret block to smooth down what i missed floating out (old constructoion trick) around areas that are exposed concret, take the block & u can hear a difference in the sound. that means ull need to chip some more original away, because its hollow underneath & there is water there. the paint recommended no acid wash. just remove the lose stuff, & an intense pressure washing. how ever, on ythe bare concret, before you patch it, spray it down w a 50/50 water, muriatic acid mix 2 remove the oils, etc soaked in it. but immediatly after, a 50/50 water /baking soda mix to nuetralize the water/acid mix. iu think i covered everything. oh wait, wanna laugh? i ran out tape & thought 1/2 hour lATER I COULD JUST WIPE THE PAINT OFF THE TILES. nope. & 2 WEEKS LATER & I STILL HAVE 3 BLUE TOENAILS. ha!

Welcome to TFP :kim:

So let me get this correctly: You patched you pool with a quartz product Premix Marbletite

Then you painted the entire pool with insl-x paint.

Which Insl-x pool paint did you use ( there are 4) and why?

Before and after pictures would be great. It would also be great if you could come back every once and a while and add some pictures to this thread. Cause you see we generally don't like pool paint on here because we find folks are jumping on here and posting pictures of how bad it looks after the third year. So if you have a product that looks good after two tor three seasons that would be fantastic.

im only renting the house. the owner wouldnt pay for anything but a few materials. it was sooooo green when i moved in, & not having an inground for so many yeARS, I FELL FOR THE GIMMICKS AT LESLIES POOL SUPPLY.I FILLED UP 1/2 A 5 GALLON BUCKET WITH TADPOLES, IF THAT GIVES UU AN IDEA OF HOW IT WAS. THE GUY THAT REINSTALLED THE PUMP JUST DUMPED 7 1/2 GALLONS OF CHLORINE IN IT & SAID HAVE A NICE DAY. ugh I DIDNT FIND THIS WEBSITE UNTIL TODAY, SO I DONT HAVE ANY PICS. BUT NOW ILL BE ON HERE CHECKING UP & SEEING IF I CAN LEARN SOME THINGS.

Which Insl-x pool paint did you use ( there are 4) and why? I DONT HAVE THE CANS ANYMORE, BUT I CAN SAY ITS THE ONE THAT IS ON lOWES WEBSITE. THE OWNER HAD A CERTAIN DOLLAR FIGURE IN MIND. SO I HAD TO STICK TO IT. BUT I CAN KEEP ALL POSTED AS TO HOW IT GOES OVER THE NEXT FEW MONTHS. NOW I HAVE AN ISSUE WITH IT LEAKING RIGHT AT THE SKIMMER. IT WAS PATCHED THERE BEFORE W/ SOMETHING REALLY GUMMY FEELING. THE ONLY THING I CCCAN THINK OF IS JUST A 2 PART POOL EPOXY TO FILL THE GAP IN. IT HAS STOPPED DRAINING BUT ONLT ABOUT 1/4-1/2 INCH ABOVE THE LIP, SO I GET THE "WHIRLPOOL" & AIR SUCKING THROUGH THE SKIMMER

Will do. Im picking it up tomorrow. However, i see good & bad reviews. Any suggestions on brand, etc? And i hope im correct on assuming im ok to dig all the old out. Like all the was until i hit concrete or? I can tell its still got some of the original, not plaster, but filler, i guess, behind it. But alot on the surface side is just gooey idk wat to call it.

Ok now I really really want a picture.

Go to a concrete supply house to purchase your epoxy. Talk to the oldest guy with the worst looking hands behind the counter. Have him recommend a brand and go over application. More than once I've had the kid behind the counter stumped but the old guy knows exactly what I need.

Many of the mixed reviews come from improper ( too rushed) application.

new question. so far so good on my "paint job" just had water tested & heres the results. i tried 2 use the pool calculator thing but was lost on it.
FAC 4 PPM
TAC 4
CH 130 (a little low i guess)
TA 130, so i put 16 ounces of muriatic acid in. (7500 gallon pool mol)
pH 7.6
no copper iron, or phosphates
TDS only 500
any suggestions for the calcium issue? & i know im going toihave to add some CYA soon. but ill adsk a rookie question. are my trichlor tabs used for that? or do i need to get the "stabalizer" powder?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.