New to the pool

A little info here. I just bought my house and moved in a little over two weeks ago. When we first got here, the pool had not been opened in two years and the pool cover had some giant tears in it. I have been cleaning and shocking for a pretty much two weeks and it seems as though it has stalled in clearing up. I thought about doing a partial drain and refill to help the process. Is this unnecessary? Do I just need to be more patient? I have attached before and after pictures.

FC- 10
CC- 1
CYA- 20+
TA- 140
PH- 7.5

20160717_093552.jpg20160801_153733.jpg

TFP method. I have been using the 12.5% from pool store and 10% from WalMart. Seems like I have went through quite a bit. But I am unsure. Probably 32 one gallon jugs from pool store and about the same from WalMart. I do work long days 4am - 4pm, so when I get home my FC is normally pretty low. My CC has seemed to come down some in the last day or two though.

You have definitely made some progress.

Is there any more debris at the bottom of the pool?
When was the last time you backwashed your filter?

Not being open in 2 years is rearing it head.. You are heading in the right direction!!!

I would like to see your CYA closer to the 40 range which will up your FC slam target as well.

How low is your FC when you get home? IF it drops way down, its giving the algae a chance to breed and its going to fight you every step of the way

The first thing that will help us is to use that good test kit you have and post some results for us. We are only guessing until you do that.

Secondly, tell us if you are shocking or SLAMming your pool.

I do the CYA test in the house holding at waist level. Initially it was non-existant. I had it up a little higher last week, but due to excessive backwashing I had to add more water and it dropped back down. I have since added more CYA but my understanding is it can take a few days to register. As far as how clean the pool is, I spent several days vacuuming out lots of leaves, rocks, dog toys and bugs. However the last three days I decided to put the tiger shark in the pool (it was left with the pool) and after several cycles I now believe the pool to be very clean. At first, it was picking up a lot of debris, but the last two times i have ran it, it has come out with almost nothing in it.

- - - Updated - - -

I am trying to SLAM but when gone during the work day my levels sometimes get too low. I was off today so I have been able to maintain but when I get home from work it can often be as low as 3.5 FC. My test results at the beginning of the thread were appoximately an hour ago. Getting ready to test again.

Clean.. check
Backwashed...check

Sounds like its just that you haven't been keeping up on the slam Fc level... Working long days will do that.
When they drop like that, the algae just laughs.

Are you keeping the filter running the whole time?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had two socks in the skimmers which are know empty. I know I am probably a little out of whack on CYA because of adding new water to the pool and needing time for it to register. In total since I began the process, I have added 6lbs. I just checked outside with back to sun at waist level and it was basically 30. Just added enough bleach to bring FC up to 12.

Indeed, just sounds like you haven't been able to stay ahead of it...keep chugging along and it's perfectly fine to go over
a bit on the chlorine dosage....when I did a slam for mustard I did mustard slam levels the entire time and about 5 ppm higher
than it needed to be. I was always up above the threshold (had the week off which really helped though)

I was desperate to get it done/dead/clear for the upcoming open house that was imminent at the time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.