Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to the pool

1. Back To Top    #1

New to the pool

A little info here. I just bought my house and moved in a little over two weeks ago. When we first got here, the pool had not been opened in two years and the pool cover had some giant tears in it. I have been cleaning and shocking for a pretty much two weeks and it seems as though it has stalled in clearing up. I thought about doing a partial drain and refill to help the process. Is this unnecessary? Do I just need to be more patient? I have attached before and after pictures.

FC- 10
    CC- 1
    CYA- 20+
    TA- 140
    PH- 7.5

20160717_093552.jpg20160801_153733.jpg
    24k gallons (I think), 18X32 Inground Pool, Hayward S-200 High rate sand filter, Hayward pump with century 1hp 3450rpm motor, TF100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to the pool

Welcome to TFP!!!!

Glad to see you've done some homework!!!

How have you been shocking? TFP Method or bags of shock?
    Inherited 24' Muskin Above ground
    13500 gal
    Hayward S180T92S Sand filter
    Taylor K-2006C Speedstir
    TFPC for Beginners | Pool Math | Pool School | CYA Chart | SLAM | Test Kits | ABC's

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP method. I have been using the 12.5% from pool store and 10% from WalMart. Seems like I have went through quite a bit. But I am unsure. Probably 32 one gallon jugs from pool store and about the same from WalMart. I do work long days 4am - 4pm, so when I get home my FC is normally pretty low. My CC has seemed to come down some in the last day or two though.
    24k gallons (I think), 18X32 Inground Pool, Hayward S-200 High rate sand filter, Hayward pump with century 1hp 3450rpm motor, TF100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

How did you do the CYA test? It can come up with way off readings if not done a certain way. (back to full sun, waist high in front if you shading it)
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

5. Back To Top    #5

You have definitely made some progress.

Is there any more debris at the bottom of the pool?
    When was the last time you backwashed your filter?

Not being open in 2 years is rearing it head.. You are heading in the right direction!!!

I would like to see your CYA closer to the 40 range which will up your FC slam target as well.

How low is your FC when you get home? IF it drops way down, its giving the algae a chance to breed and its going to fight you every step of the way
    13500 gal
    Taylor K-2006C Speedstir
    TFPC for Beginners | Pool Math | Pool School | CYA Chart | SLAM | Test Kits | ABC's

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

The first thing that will help us is to use that good test kit you have and post some results for us. We are only guessing until you do that.

Secondly, tell us if you are shocking or SLAMming your pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

I do the CYA test in the house holding at waist level. Initially it was non-existant. I had it up a little higher last week, but due to excessive backwashing I had to add more water and it dropped back down. I have since added more CYA but my understanding is it can take a few days to register. As far as how clean the pool is, I spent several days vacuuming out lots of leaves, rocks, dog toys and bugs. However the last three days I decided to put the tiger shark in the pool (it was left with the pool) and after several cycles I now believe the pool to be very clean. At first, it was picking up a lot of debris, but the last two times i have ran it, it has come out with almost nothing in it.

- - - Updated - - -

I am trying to SLAM but when gone during the work day my levels sometimes get too low. I was off today so I have been able to maintain but when I get home from work it can often be as low as 3.5 FC. My test results at the beginning of the thread were appoximately an hour ago. Getting ready to test again.

8. Back To Top    #8

Clean.. check
    Backwashed...check

Sounds like its just that you haven't been keeping up on the slam Fc level... Working long days will do that.
    When they drop like that, the algae just laughs.

Are you keeping the filter running the whole time?
    13500 gal
    Taylor K-2006C Speedstir

9. Back To Top    #9

Yeah, filter running 24/7

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by borjis View Post
    How did you do the CYA test? It can come up with way off readings if not done a certain way. (back to full sun, waist high in front if you shading it)
    Gotta do the CYA like this...
    Indoors skews the results

- - - Updated - - -

IS there anyone that can help you maintain during work?
    13500 gal
    Taylor K-2006C Speedstir

11. Back To Top    #11

My wife is off the next two days so i am hoping to make some good progress.

12. Back To Top    #12

Show her how to use pool math and the test kit and im willing to bet youll be closer to blue than you can imagine...
    Test every hour or 2 for best results

- - - Updated - - -

HOw much and when did you add CYA?
    13500 gal
    Taylor K-2006C Speedstir

13. Back To Top    #13

I had two socks in the skimmers which are know empty. I know I am probably a little out of whack on CYA because of adding new water to the pool and needing time for it to register. In total since I began the process, I have added 6lbs. I just checked outside with back to sun at waist level and it was basically 30. Just added enough bleach to bring FC up to 12.

14. Back To Top    #14

Really appreciate the info and input. I am going to keep plugging away at it. I was afraid one of my issues was letting the FC drop too much. I have more confidence now that I am on the right path. I just need to do a better job of maintaining.

15. Back To Top    #15

Test for cya again tomorrow.. with 6lb that will take you from 0 to 30 but if there was any in there prior you may be above that. Keep an eye on it. Don't want that getting too high

13500 gal
    Taylor K-2006C Speedstir

16. Back To Top    #16

Indeed, just sounds like you haven't been able to stay ahead of it...keep chugging along and it's perfectly fine to go over
    a bit on the chlorine dosage....when I did a slam for mustard I did mustard slam levels the entire time and about 5 ppm higher
    than it needed to be. I was always up above the threshold (had the week off which really helped though)

I was desperate to get it done/dead/clear for the upcoming open house that was imminent at the time.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.