New AGP - how long to let liner set before swimming?

Jul 18, 2016
Franklin, OH
Hello everyone, first post here after lurking and learning by reading the site he past few weeks. We recently bought a 30' round 54" AGP and it is scheduled to be installed within the next week. One question I have that I cannot seem to find an answer to is how long do I need to let the liner set with water in it to settle before getting into the pool and swimming? The store where we bought the pool from recommended only filling 6-12" the day of installation to allow the liner to settle and said that any issues that typically occur will within the first 24 hours, and after 24 hours we can resume filling the pool up to the skimmer. I've heard that getting in the pool too soon after installation could cause wrinkles to appear in the liner and that's the last thing I want.

Thanks for any input or advice anyone is able to offer!

The store was almost right....Almost...
A new liner will stretch a bit and they were right about only filling it a little... but... 6-12" of water and your wrinkles will be set...
So.. as you are filling, get in and start smoothing them immediately. the quicker they get down the better. If you get to one that wont smooth out, stop the water and work on that one. The sheer weight of the water will hold everything in place.. then you can fill to 12" for 24 hours.. if you like..

What kind of pool is going up?

Ok so the pool was installed earlier today, and a few spots around the pool seem to be wet in the sand at the base of the pool. Pool has about 10" of water right now and I'm not sure if the wet sand should be of concern or not. The sand is slightly damp, and a few of the pads are wet but nothing too bad like actual water pooling up. Of course I'm worried about it, but has anyone come across this during a new installation? Surely the liner wouldn't have tiny holes in multiple spots around the pool?

The damp sand around the base of the wall is likely to be due to atmospheric condensation and or water being squeezed out of the sand and soil under the pool from the new installation. If the dampness persists for a long time or grows during the heat of the day check to see if the water in the pool is going down.

Thanks CJadamec, it's still damp around the pool in the same few spots. The pool store said basically the same as you did when I called last night in that the water from the sand has to go somewhere which most likely explains the wet areas around the pool. I have not filled the pool with anymore water but it does not appear to have lost any water (other than what has evaporated). I think I'm probably okay to go ahead and start fillin again but my fear is filling and then having an issue after all and having to drain the pool. I'm frustrated in that I would not think that the new pool liner would have multiple areas leaking and common sense is telling me that it's just the weight of the pool water pushing the water out of the sand, but I just don't know what to do.

Fill it up and if you are worried just keep an eye on those spots. Its normal to be nervous and look for any little signs of trouble when something is new and being put to the test for the first time. I stood out in the rain for an hour to see make sure I didn't have any run off issues after my pool went up. We all have our did I leave the stove on moments.

Thanks again for the advice CJ. I started filling it up this morning before work so we should be good to go soon enough. I was driving my wife crazy playing the waiting game and I measured the water levels last night and again this morning and there appeared to be no water loss, so at this point I think it's all in my mind. A nice dip in the pool in a few days should ease my mind.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.