Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Why didn't my shock dissolve in my pool (it seemed to have settled on the bottom)

1. Back To Top    #1

Why didn't my shock dissolve in my pool (it seemed to have settled on the bottom)

Hi. Last week I put two 1 lb. bags of shock into my pool. It was the Leslie Pools shock. The next day I noticed that a lot of the shock settled on the bottom of the pool and was just sitting there. The pump was running the entire time. Any idea what happened? Thanks
    32,500 gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Pentair Propane Heater, Pentair Racer robot cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Why didn't my shock dissolve in my pool (it seemed to have settled on the bottom)

What kind of "shock" is it? There are 4 or 5 different kinds. Maybe your pool was hoping you'd vacuum it up and put it back in the bottle?

It is not good for your plaster to let chemicals sit on the bottom. It can cause pitting and bleach out the color, if present. Brush it around to help it dissolve.

We tend not to recommend using granular "shock" products. We also think shock is a verb, not a noun.

More here, Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Why didn't my shock dissolve in my pool (it seemed to have settled on the bottom)

If you use granular chlorine in the future, be sure you push it around with a broom until it dissolves or pre-dissolve it in a bucket of warm water and pour the solution slowly in front of a return jet. I find the second option is easier.
    12250 gallons | IG | Vinyl liner | Sand Filter | Emerson 1081 Pump EUST1102 | Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter Model #S166T | Pool <10 yrs. old | Taylor K-2006 test kit | SharkVac automatic pool cleaner