Add a wall behind the pool?

Jun 28, 2016
vienna ohio
d85ad3cc02ba31012d1f68e072bf7407.jpg

Any mods out there feel free to jump in if I should start a new thread for this, but as you can see from the picture I'm considering some landscape changes. Anyone have any thoughts on a freestanding block wall? I'm kinda tired of the overgrown evergreens and various other plant life that are constantly dropping little potential algae bombs into my pool.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Traffic is it. I have a tapered (in relation to the pool) property line of about 6 feet back spacing from end of concrete pad, to about 12 feet on the right hand side. There is a state owned chain link fence back there dividing my property from the wooded area. I'd like to do this in the least expensive manner possible, while still keeping the door open for future renovating of the wall. That's the idea be the block, I can always add stone etc... down the road

Those photos help. I agree that a wall/fencing of some type would be a nice idea. It would give a cleaner look behind the pool and perhaps help with some debris. Some of that vegetation looks well-established, so I suspect some of the taller ones will shed and find their way over just about anything you build, but it should help - especially near the ground level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm thinking it should help quite a bit with the sound too. I just can't quite picture it in my head which way I should go. I tried to Google search but didn't turn up much along the lines I was looking for, just wanted to see if anyone here had a "been there done that, here's where I missed and where I hit it out of the park" experience.

What do you mean when you say "block". Do you mean retaining wall blocks that you dry stack or do you mean moartered cement block. DIY cement block is a bear, and not cheap - I built a small planter (4 courses high and maybe 6' x 3' and it was not cheap, nor was it easy (conceptualy easy, labor wise, heavy work). I am now in the process of adding cultured stone veneer to it, so we will see how that goes. Just an FYI, adding stone to a wall as large as you are suggesting is $$$$$$ - I can't tell you what I paid to do the planter because I got the veneer stone for free, but when I was starting to price it out, it was well over $1,000 just for the planter bed.

Is there any reason you do not want a fence back there? Not a run of the mill picket fence, but something interesting. You chould even build it yourself if you wanted it to be higher than normal (a fence company will also construct panels to your specifications - at a cost of course). A fence would also be a lot easier to remove in the future if you wanted to change it.

I'm considering cement block, 8 course by roughly 60 foot long. I can pick up block here for $1.50 each. Including the price of cement for footer, rebar, and mortar, I'm estimating less than $1,000. I work in the construction/remodeling field, so I'm not too concerned with the work load. I want to go with the block for a few reasons with sound barrier being pretty high on the list, longevity, lack of maintenance needed(I live on an acre, with a 2,000 sqft house that requires a good amount of attention and I have a baby on the way in a few weeks), and the potential for future upgrades without removal and replacement.

Well if you are going with that much block, here is my "been there done that" advice. Get a cheap cement mixer from harbor freight. I hate mixing cement, and I hate interrupting the flow of a job to mix mortar. Well worth the investment (especially since I am doing some belgum block curbing shortly)

I would also say, think about how you want to cap the wall. Mine sat as bare block for over a year now, but I capped it right when I built it (using bluestone)

-dave

I'm thinking it should help quite a bit with the sound too. ...
Not sure about that unless you make it from left-to right without any gaps. Sound waves in most annoying 5kHz band have length of about 2" - anything wider than half of it will let them through. They also go 'around the corner' at some angle so if your wall is partial and you stand far enough from it you'll still get the noise. It would definitely help just might not to the degree you expect.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.