Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New just put in a above ground pool 24 round 54 high. My name is Debbie

1. Back To Top    #1

Angry New just put in a above ground pool 24 round 54 high. My name is Debbie

Hi love my new pool. The only problem is I can't even relax and lay on my raft because of the horse flies... It's a constant battle them against me! Don't know what to do about it and was hoping for advice PLEASE !!!!
    above ground pool 24 round and 54 high. Deck around it. Debbie Lindsey

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New just put in a above ground pool 24 round 54 high. My name is Debbie

Hello Debbie and welcome to TFP! Well, we have some annoying flies in our area as well. If you crack the code on how to keep those pesky buggers away, please let us all know. Same for Yellow Jacket wasps. They all seem to gravitate to the water. Great to have you with us.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi, not far from you. Same problem, if we are swimming in the daytime. Try to stay submerged. We swim at nite mostly, plus we also have what I call sweat bees.
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

4. Back To Top    #4

You might try getting some disposable fly traps. Look for ones that hold water in the bottom. I wouldn't use any that have a "meat" smell. We had some traps to attract japanese beetles with a scent attractant and all it did was bring every single one in the neighborhood to our place. I'd place them as far away from the pool on your property as possible. Good luck, I HATE horse flies!
    25k outdoor in-ground 18'x36' vinyl pool; Jandy TruClear SWCG; Pentair Whisperflo 3/4 HP WFE-3 pump; Sta-Rite S8M150 System:3 Modular Media 450 sqft filter; Intermatic Freeze Sentry PF1103T
    Doheny's Discovery Automatic Robotic Cleaner; TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I would run a small fountain to make the pool less a attractive landing site for them to gather water. You can also put a large dish of water far away from the pool and try to lure them over there. Check the yard insect foggers and see if they are rated for any of your bugs.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!