Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Will a copper spillway add copper to my pool water?

1. Back To Top    #1

St. Simons Island, GA

Will a copper spillway add copper to my pool water?

I have a new gunite pool with two copper spillways on one end. The pool has been in service for about 30 days now. It also has a SWG and the salt was just added last week. I have two white dogs that swim in the pool and noticed this week they were getting a green tint in their hair. I have a weekly pool service from the company that installed the pool. Since I just noticed this happening since the salt was added, I am wondering if copper from the spillways could be adding copper to the pool water. If so, what can I do to prevent them from becoming green again? I know it would be great for St. Patrick's day, but the rest of the year they look much better white.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Will a copper spillway add copper to my pool water?

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, especially if the PH is low. It will also stain the pool surface, water and fingernails too. The problem with putting copper in the pool is there is no way to get it out. Which is why we advise not to use copper mineral systems or copper algaecides. Jacks magic sells metal sequestrants that will temporarily bind with the copper but it has to be added regularly. CUlator sells packs that claim to absorb copper but the results are questionable.

More here, Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Louisiana

Re: Will a copper spillway add copper to my pool water?

You might want to look into options to seal that copper and perform a water replacement.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~