Bring down alkalinity in my pool

Jul 22, 2016
Baird, tx
Just wanted you expert advice on what to do. First of all I'm on well water . I have a 24' above ground at 52" Aprox 14,500 gal. I just put in a swg. Right now I just turned it down from 18 hours to 15. Levels are
Ph 7.8, alkalinity 170ppm. Ca 50ppm, hardness 0, fc around 5ppm. I'm trying to use muratic acid to bring down alkalinity and aeration to bring ph back up. Is there a faster way to bring alkalinity down. Thanks

Take a minute and add those pool details to your signature please :) Surface type too.

Just lower pH as needed, your pH is going to rise with a SWG as it is, and you will be adding acid often enough.

If you are determined to drop TA quicker than that, the Acid/aeration cycle is the fastest way I've heard of.

Just wanted you expert advice on what to do. First of all I'm on well water . I have a 24' above ground at 52" Aprox 14,500 gal. I just put in a swg. Right now I just turned it down from 18 hours to 15. Levels are
Ph 7.8, alkalinity 170ppm. Ca 50ppm, hardness 0, fc around 5ppm. I'm trying to use muratic acid to bring down alkalinity and aeration to bring ph back up. Is there a faster way to bring alkalinity down. Thanks

Its a painfully slow process especially if you have to keep filling from evap.. Raises your Ta right back up...
Are you having a hard time maintaining your PH? If its holding pretty well, you really don't need to mess with it... I have a TA of 150 but my ph is solid so I really don't mess around with it too much

Controlling your pH precisely will help a little.

Bring it all the way down to 7.0 or 6.8 if you are going to aerate right away. pH should rise rather quickly. The rate of pH rise will slow after 7.6 or 7.8 so I would bring it back down with muriatic at 7.6.

Be very precise. You can't measure ph below 6.8 so never let it drop below that.

Aerate vigorously.....that'll help, too.

ph seems to stay stable, my cwg system is awsome just turned it down to 12 hours from 15 because my pool is still above 5ppm chlorine
Following our system, the chlorine level is always maintained as a ratio to CYA. You have not listed your CYA, so 5ppm could be high or low.

See [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

What is your CYA level? What test kit are you using?

FC 4PPM
PF-7.2
TA 100 PPM
CH 350 PPM
CYA 40
AG 24' 14,500 gal.solaxx saltron retro saltwater chlorine generator,200lb sand filter,3/4hp, 3450 rpm haward super pump model C48J2N131B1, single speed
smart pool timer for pump,well water,new liner installed 7-15/16 taylor dpd test kit

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
FC 8PPM
PF-7.8
TA 100 PPM
CH 350 PPM
CYA 40
this is what i have right now. i put in a bottle of chlorine because we just had a big rain. guess thats why my ph is up to will use acid after chlorine levels back out if ph is still up. my chlorinator keeps my pool around 4ppm is tht to much i have it running 11 hours a day right now

Yes, the aeration from the rain can cause pH to rise.

We recommend having CYA at 70 to 80 ppm for a saltwater pool so there is less work for the SWG. Especially in the TX sun.

No, FC of 4 ppm is not too much, it is a little low. 5-6 ppm FC would be better with 40 CYA. Chlorine is set based on CYA level and the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. FC needs to always be above minimum to keep your pool safe, sanitary and algae free.

More here on saltwater, Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.