PB-4 Booster Pump STILL Leaking After Changing Seals

May 26, 2016
Denham Springs, LA
I've been having issues with my booster pump leaking from the bottom (the small rectangle opening between the front volute and the motor). After some research I decided to change the shaft seal and o-rings as recommended. Pretty straight forward repair but after waiting an hour or so when I powered it on, it was still leaking a good bit from the same spot. Did I do something wrong or is there possibly another issue?
pump arrow.jpg

Forgive my ignorance, but if it wasn't in the kit that I bought, then no it wasn't changed. My kit contained:

• Southeastern Brand O-Ring Replacement Seal Kit (Pre 2012) For Polaris Booster Pump 3/4 hp PB4-60
  • Includes: 1) Shaft Seal O-ring Replacement For O-30 P40
  • 2) Volute O-ring replacement For O-299 P95
  • 3) Pump Shaft Seal Replacement For PS-1000 AS-1000

That should of had all the seals required. The only other thing I can think of is the seal was not installed properly.

If there rust on the motor shaft, you can try to remove some of that with fine steel wool.

The two matting surfaces of the shaft seal must be kept completely clean (absolutely no lube on those).

Also, if the seals were not fully seated, it may leak.

Thanks for the information. I took the pump back apart again and after close inspection I noticed that I have a crack in my bracket. I'm pretty sure this is what was causing my original issue and then when I replaced the seals I probably cracked it more. I've ordered a new bracket but it won't be in until the middle of next week. How outlandish is it to try and repair the crack using some pvc 2 step repair or even a sealant? My pool is very green and on the verge of being a full blown swamp so the sooner I can start SLAMming, the better. I've attached a picture of the bracket with the crack.

Resized_20160803_162558.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.