Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Neighbors pool has a problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Neighbors pool has a problem

First, my pool is sparkling clear thanks to this site. My neighbor had his pool drained, cleaned and refilled 15 months ago after it was covered for 3 seasons by old owner. He has 30k IG with SWG sand filter and uses a Polaris with booster pump to clean. Runs single speed pump 24/7, a waste but he doesn't care or know better. Pool has fiberglass sides and comcrete bottom with epoxy paint. He never hand vacuums or hand brushes the bottom or sides, only uses Polaris with coarse bag that collects leaves and small debris. He told me yesterday it doesn't get the real fine debris. I offered up my Dolphin robot for a run. It collected nothing but what I assume is fine silt. Looks like talcum powder in suspension. The robot was sending plumes of milky water through the top impeller outlet. Filters took twice as long to clean out after because of the fine debris and while I could see the main drain 9 feet down before running, we couldn't see the drain at all, or really see the shallow end floor below bottom step after cycle over because water cloudy white. I assume it's a huge am,punt of silt.

I thnk he needs to hand vacuum a couple times or more after letting settle, maybe to waste first. Will the sand catch the silt well enough, it seemed to go through robot microfilters at least some. The foam rollers on robot were saturated with milky liquid after using. He needs to scrub pool more, obviously, and maybe get a silt filter for Polaris going forward, but he's more concerned with getting the large among out now. Any other advice? Thanks in advance

FC 5.5
    CC 0
    TA 80
    CH 6-700
    pH 7.6
    CYA 30-40, hard to tell closer that that
    26,000g IG, Fiberglass side/Concrete bottom, epoxy paint, Pentair IC40 SWG, Pentair Cartridge Filter 420, Pentair Intelliflow 3 HP VS pump, Pentair 120 Heat Pump, pool installed 11/2015, painted and equipment installed 4/2016. City Water.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Neighbors pool has a problem

For now, he needs to brush. Brushing is an essential part of pool care and I think after a few times he can get most of that powder out.

He may not like to hear that. I always say, "No good deed goes unpunished"!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Dave is right, brushing will help get small silt like debris into circulation which lets the filter work on it. He may need to deep clean his filter if its been neglected.

Another idea is after cleaning the sand is to add a bit of DE to the filter.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

I told him to brush once a week anyway since he doesn't have a robot for the floor. Wouldn't vacuuming after letting settle get a lot at once, then brush to circulate more?
    26,000g IG, Fiberglass side/Concrete bottom, epoxy paint, Pentair IC40 SWG, Pentair Cartridge Filter 420, Pentair Intelliflow 3 HP VS pump, Pentair 120 Heat Pump, pool installed 11/2015, painted and equipment installed 4/2016. City Water.

5. Back To Top    #5

Highly possible the paint on the floor is causing this...my last pool was painted (years before I owned it) I have to
    say it was nearly impossible to get it to NOT cloud up when brushing.

Lesson: Never paint a pool.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.