Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What are the cause of these stains & how do I get rid of them? - Need recommendations

1. Back To Top    #1

What are the cause of these stains & how do I get rid of them? - Need recommendations

In the last month or so, I am noticing these stains in my gunite/concrete pool. They are more prominent in the corners (the angled area around the pool floor - where the wall meets the floor. The stains look brownish and dirt like (almost like dirt particles stuck on the concrete). I tried scrubbing them with a brush but they don't come off. Water test does not show any metal presence. Chemical balance looks good (except chlorine is a little high).

I have attached pics below.

What causes these stains and what can I try to get rid of them?

pool_stain1.jpg

pool_stain2.jpg
    Pool: 15K Gallon Pool, Inground Gunite/Plaster Pool (Kidney shape), Hayward SP2302VSP Pump, Polaris Cleaner, Built circa 1998

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What are the cause of these stains & how do I get rid of them? - Need recommendat

Post a full set of test results. A couple of months worth if you have them. And tell us what test kit you used to obtain them.

Are they rough? Raised above the plaster surface?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: What are the cause of these stains & how do I get rid of them? - Need recommendat

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Post a full set of test results. A couple of months worth if you have them. And tell us what test kit you used to obtain them.

Are they rough? Raised above the plaster surface?

Hi there, here you go. Here are the results from last weekend. I did my test at the pool store.

About the stains, they don't seem rough or raised. Almost like dirt that is stuck.

pool_results.jpg
    Pool: 15K Gallon Pool, Inground Gunite/Plaster Pool (Kidney shape), Hayward SP2302VSP Pump, Polaris Cleaner, Built circa 1998

4. Back To Top    #4

What products have you put in your water? Any copper containing algaecides or any product that says "Blu/Blue" on the label?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

Rub a Vit C tablet on the stains to see if it lightens them.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

are the Vitamin C tablets available at say Walmart or do need order online ?
    Blue haven kidney style 16,000 gal gunnite including Spa, test Kit TF - 100
    Built 2000 deep end 7.5 feet, 2 steps at shallow end
    Original SWG then convert to chlorine
    Pentair Clean & Clear cartridge filter (4)
    Blue Haven Teledyne Laars Platinum II heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Just cheap-o chewable vitamin c tabs from the drug store or walmart.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    What products have you put in your water? Any copper containing algaecides or any product that says "Blu/Blue" on the label?
    I have only been using the following chemicals this year. None of them says Blu/Blue on the label.

- Natural Chemistry Pool Perfect Plus Phos-Free (2 caps into the skimmer once a week)
    - Pool Shock (as needed). This brand: Pool Shock Chemicals - In The Swim
    - I also have a Chlorinatior which holds 3" Chlorine tabs. I use this brand: 3 Inch Super Multi-Tabs - 5 In 1 Pool Tablets - In the Swim

9. Back To Top    #9

Your CYA is off the charts high so STOP using 3" chlorinating pucks.
    Your Calcium Hardness is probably over range high for their test from using the Cal-hypo shock - stop using it as well. Get some bleach(not splashless or easy pour) just regular bleach and use it to chlorinate going forward. Read the articles in Pool School at the top of the page on CYA/CL relationship and use the pool math tool to calculate bleach addition.

As for the stains try a regular vitamin C tablet from the supplements aisle at wally world - hard tablets not gummies
    30k in ground vinyl lined pool surrounded by decking in the woods.
    Hayward sand filter circa mid 80's
    If there is a way to do things less expensively and yield a superior product I am all ears

10. Back To Top    #10

you need to get rid of at least half of your CYA so the chlorine can do its job.