Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I found this at Walmart...

1. Back To Top    #1

I found this at Walmart...

I'm still new at the TFPC method so I wanted to run this by the veterans and get some feedback. It says it has 10.00% sodium hypochlorite. This is basically the same as the generic bleach, just stronger, right?

I bought it for $3.64 at Walmart and it has a full gallon of chlorine - 128 oz. (vs. the 121 oz. "gallon" of the generic bleach I've been using)... Thoughts?

19,500 gallons, IG plaster pool w/spa, built in the late 70s
    Hayward Pro Series sand filter; Sta-Rite Dyna Glas pump (1.5 hp)
    Zodiac T5 Duo suction cleaner; K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I found this at Walmart...

Good stuff...

8,400 gal 3K GPH pump, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Piolin View Post

Good stuff...

8,400 gal 3K GPH pump, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    But always check at the manufactured date... 16XXX where the XXX will be the numbers of days for the 2016 year

The corner stone of TFP
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP

4. Back To Top    #4

The corner stone of TFP

The corner stone of TFP

5. Back To Top    #5

It's a fair price. That is what i use. Just check the date. My walmart has a fast turn over. The date is the black stamp where the neck of the bottle starts. Should be like 16 210 Plant number line number. First is the year. Second number is day of year.
    17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"

6. Back To Top    #6

That product was a much better deal when it was $2.50 ... still is by me.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Sometimes the datecode on the Pool Essentials is printed on the bottle below the label. I found a number of them at a Walmart near me that were printed that way.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

8. Back To Top    #8

It was 2.50 at my Wal-Mart a few weeks ago, but I haven't bought any in awhile. I hope the price hasn't jumped for me too. Otherwise, 64 oz bottles of bleach at 8.25% for $1.39 at Aldi will be the better deal in my town.
    12250 gallons | IG | Vinyl liner | Sand Filter | Emerson 1081 Pump EUST1102 | Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter Model #S166T | Pool <10 yrs. old | Taylor K-2006 test kit | SharkVac automatic pool cleaner

9. Back To Top    #9

If you have a Publix grocery store, their bleach is always under $3 (I think $2.68 is normal price) and often on sale for two for $5. I always just go there since it's five minutes from my house and the bleach is always fresh.
    AGP 33' x 54" Lomart Verona, Approx. 27,300 gallons, Pentair cartridge filter/pump 2-speed, 1.5 hp, Dolphin Escape robotic cleaner.

10. Back To Top    #10

So, it sounds like this is a good product to use. I'm not so much concerned about the cost... I'm still learning this method and I just didn't want to put anything into the pool that I wasn't sure about. My husband was excited about it because we used much less quantity than the generic bleach we'd been using. He said he was going back to Walmart to stock up!

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Don't buy a 3 year supply....it degrades. Only buy enough to finish your swim season this year.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

Awesome, time to take a trip to Wally World!
    18k gallon, 20x32, salt IC20, gunite with quartz finish, raised spa with overflow, flagstone coping, moss rock waterfall, Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump, Pentair Racer, Pentair pool pump, cartridge filter, heater, etc., acid dispenser.
    TF-100 kit for sparkling clean water.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Don't buy a 3 year supply....it degrades. Only buy enough to finish your swim season this year.
    Too late; we bought 50 jugs.... No, we didn't! We're at the tail end of a SLAM so we've been buying 4-6 jugs at a time, but we won't need that much pretty soon (I hope!). We've just started with the TFP method so I don't know what my daily chlorine needs will be. But, I'm a good student and I've been re-reading and studying up on everything TFP. No using degraded chlorine here!

14. Back To Top    #14

The last time I ran the price the chlorine content was a wash with the 8% Great Value bleach. I stick with the 8% because a half gallon is just about right for the daily dose on my pool. With the 10% I have to skip a day every so often, and I just lose track. Getting older, you know.
    20K gallon vinyl inground pool, Hayward Pro Series sand filter, 1 HP pump, Taylor K-2006