Bad to leave the chlorinator "on"

Lawtyger

Mar 11, 2016
Tampa, Florida
Is it bad to leave the chlorinator "on" all the time even though if I understand correctly it is only generating chlorine when the pool pump is running? I know I have read several times these cells have a specific life span so I want to make sure technically being on wouldn't count towards that life span.

I ask because I am still batting Omnilogic glitches and the one schedule of many that does not seem to reliable turn on is the chlorinator. Therefore, until the chlorinator schedule and other Omnilogic glitches are worked out I was hoping to just leave the chlorinator in the "on" state and adjust the percentage so that I generate the correct amount of chlorine based on my main pull pump run time.

Yes, off is better. It can explode. Here are a couple of exploding SWG threads.
New Member Swade
SWG cell explosion

My VS pump is wired to the breaker and my SWG is wired to a timer. I make SURE to check the time periodically and I make SURE that the SWG only comes on inside the window that the pump runs.

The rated number of hours do only include hours when it is generating.

Bad to leave the chlorinator "on"

Thanks, interesting reads. I am not sure how the builder wired the SWG but I plan to find out.

My Omnilogic system manual does state:

"Chlorinator Setting - The OmniLogic can only generate chlorine while the filter pump is operating. Set the percentage of run time that you desire chlorine generation."

"For the chlorinator to be operating, several conditions must exist: the filter pump must be running, the flow switch must detect flow, the chlorinator setting must be greater than 0%, the water temperature at the cell must be between 50 F and 140 F (superchlorinate will run under 50 F except during freeze protection), and the salt level must be within the operating range. If any of these conditions are not met, the diagnostic screen will show that the chlorinator is off. Also, depending on the chlorinator setting, the OmniLogic may be in between cycles and the chlorinator is at rest (cell current shows 0.00A). To force the start of the new cycle, you can touch the Reverse Polarity button."

Perhaps the system automatically avoids this issue (generation of chlorine/gases) when the pump is not running???

If you have a power distribution center with your automation panel (most do), then the SWG should be wired so that it is only energized when the main pump is running. You should never rely on the SWGs internal flow switch to act as the ON/OFF button although a lot of (really bad) PBs will do it that way.

I don't know enough about the Omnilogic to comment on that. The problems I have seen are related to relying on the flow switch to shut off the cell. Which may be what the Omnilogic relies on.

Walked outside to the Omnilogic wall panel. To test. When the chlorinator is on, and the pump is not running, the chlorination symbol is not activated. But, when I turn the pump on, the chlorination symbol starts to spin.

I think at least at this level, when the chlorinator is on the system is not generating chlorine until the pump is running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the SWG is on when the pump is not running, things can go wrong. A flow switch can fail in more than one way. If the flow switch fails to shut off when the pump is not running, your SWG can (literally) explode. I had this happen a few years ago - it is not a pretty sight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.