Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Forget filter socks!

1. Back To Top    #1

Forget filter socks!

I recently had the idea to try a 1 gallon paint strainer in my skimmer basket rather than the usual filter sock. The filter socks drove me crazy because they only lasted a short while before developing a tear or hole. Paint strainers are much more sturdy, although not quite as efficient as socks. I'm happy to report it's been over a month with the same strainer in my skimmer basket and it's working swimmingly. It catches a lot of the smaller debris that would normally pass into the filter, but it would take some considerable effort to rip or tear it.

Anyone else tried this?
    20k gal. IG plaster w/spa. 2 HP Aqua-Flo "A" pump, Hayward DE6020 filter. "The Pool Cleaner".

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Forget filter socks!

I've not tried it yet but we have several members who swear by Disposable Hair Net, Spun-Bonded Polypropylene, White, 100 per Bag: Science Lab Hairnets: Amazon.com: Industrial Scientific . Both sound like a pretty good deal.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

My 1-gallon paint strainer net has been in my skimmer basket since last winter. Yep, I'm a cheapo. But it's durable and works. Every evening I take it out and bang it against my chain link fence to knock the bugs and junk off. Put it back in and I'm back in business.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

I did the paint strainer last year and I did the hair nets this year. They both work great, but I prefer the paint strainer.

I'm usually behind my pool doing other stuff when I remember to check the skimmer basket. With the paint strainer I can pull it out and dump it right there at the fence line, put it back in and go on with what I was doing. With the hair nets, they are a disposable, so I now have to pull the net, find a garbage to toss it, get a new net and walk to the back of the pool again to install.

Maybe next year at the beginning of the season when we get continuous heavy debris I'll use the hair nets and then switch to the paint strainer.
    Michigan - 24'x54" AG, approx 15,000g, 2 center drains, Cartridge filter, Aqua Pro 2hp, 2 speed pump 3.5a@1725w / 10.5a@3450w, AquaCal TropiCal T90 heat pump, Hayward Salt & Swim SWG, Poolskim, Aquabot Rover Jr.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I use the hair nets and love being able to dump them and install a new one.

For those of you using the paint strainers if you have a couple of them to be able to swap back and forth I discovered with my Polaris bag it's much easier to clean when they are bone dry. If I have time I disconnect the Polaris bag and lay it in the sun for about 10min and all the debris just floats out instead of sticking to the bag requiring a ton of rinsing when it's wet. Granted the Polaris bag has way more nooks and crannies than a paint strainer so perhaps not such an issue for the strainers.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

6. Back To Top    #6

I started using the paint strainer bags after moderator Richard passed the idea to me. It not only helps in the cleaning of the debris, but I think I solved why I've been getting the brown sand particles(or 'dead algae', as some describe it). When I remove it each morning, I shake off the bugs and debris. I noticed I had a slime present in the material. So I started carrying a bucket with about 2-3 inches of water with a couple ounces of bleach, in which I dipped the bag and swirl it around. Then I put it back on the basket, and after doing that for three weeks, all those brown tracks have disappeared! I have ideas why, but I'm not qualified as an expert, so I'll just say it worked somehow! Maybe someone else can verify if it helps them.
    17k, 27'AG, Sand, 2spd Pentair, Hayward Aqua-trol salt system, TF100 tst kit

7. Back To Top    #7

I used the skimmer socks too and would replace torn ones every 2 weeks, but switched to the paint strainer and have used only 2 in a year.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

8. Back To Top    #8

I have used both the paint strainer and the hair nets. Both do a good job, but I vote HAIR NETS!!!
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, SPLAPOOL 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner

9. Back To Top    #9

+1 on the hair nets. They work great!
    Free-form concrete walls with vinyl liner, 18,000 gallon capacity, Jandy 1.5HP e-Pump, Jandy DEV48 DE filter (using cellulose media), Jandy AE2500 heat pump, Jandy Aqualink Power Center with 14-blade cell kit and Jandy PDA-P8 wireless control system.

10. Back To Top    #10

Anybody see a problem with hairnets and salt water?
    18k gallon, 20x32, salt IC20, gunite with quartz finish, raised spa with overflow, flagstone coping, moss rock waterfall, Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump, Pentair Racer, Pentair pool pump, cartridge filter, heater, etc., acid dispenser.
    TF-100 kit for sparkling clean water.

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by PoolingAround View Post
    Anybody see a problem with hairnets and salt water?
    No issue. I'm pretty sure people that wear hairnets sweat...sweat has salt in it (nearly 900-2000 ppm).

Salt gets blamed for a lot of issues but the truth is the salt levels in pools are so low that water is actually still considered fresh water. Salt is a harmless component of it until levels get very, very, very high.
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by bdavis466 View Post
    No issue. I'm pretty sure people that wear hairnets sweat...sweat has salt in it (nearly 900-2000 ppm).

Salt gets blamed for a lot of issues but the truth is the salt levels in pools are so low that water is actually still considered fresh water. Salt is a harmless component of it until levels get very, very, very high.
    So should I forgo the $300 worth of sealer and my DIY time to coat flagstone coping and moss rock?
    18k gallon, 20x32, salt IC20, gunite with quartz finish, raised spa with overflow, flagstone coping, moss rock waterfall, Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump, Pentair Racer, Pentair pool pump, cartridge filter, heater, etc., acid dispenser.
    TF-100 kit for sparkling clean water.

13. Back To Top    #13

I have a salt pool and use the hairnets. No problem. I use skimmer socks for any additives I need to add to the pool, like stabilizer or calcium chloride.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by PoolingAround View Post
    So should I forgo the $300 worth of sealer and my DIY time to coat flagstone coping and moss rock?
    Its more than salt that causes the issues. Its the pH/poor water chemistry and the wet/dry cycles that are major contributers to the erosion naturally very soft stone. There are many people with flagstone with no sealer and having no issues. There have been several discussions on the topic (especially involving pool builders in Texas) and a good portion falls on rumors and speculation with little science to back up the claims.

The greatest effect is on local sourced (Texas) limestone that is very soft and would likely deteriorate with time, regardless of the salt content.
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page