Help with balancing

Jul 22, 2016
Chesapeake
Hey guys, new to the site. I'm away on travel but my family just txt me the readings from their latest test. FC 6.5
PH 8.2
Alkalinity 310
CYA 20

these numbers are all off and I don't want to have a knee jerk reaction and start dumping all sorts of chemicals in but where do I start to balance this? Mind you it's been raining quite a bit in Our area of Virginia. We're using a TF-100 test kit.

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Have the family do the following:
- Lower pH to the mid-7s using muriatic acid. Make sure they understand that stuff works great, but demands respect. Don't get it on skin, eyes, and make sure wind is blowing away from face. Pour slowly!
- Increase CYA. 30 is minimum. In mid-summer I would recommend about 40.
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

Because your TA is so high, it is allowing pH to rise quickly as well. There's a way to treat (lower) that TA over time, but you may want to do that when you get back. For now, just make sure they keep the pH in the mid-7 and not let it get over 7.8.

They should also continue to keep the FC around the 5 range, never let it drop below 4 in this heat. Hope that helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.