Advise Requested - New to VS pump - run time suggestions

Jun 15, 2016
Central Valley, CA
I have read and read and read. I understand its really a function of trial and error. I am attempting trying to reduce the trial/error period and am hoping someone can suggest a good starting point for my Hayward Tristar VS run time/RPM program.

This is a new pool, PB initial startup was 7/15/16. My previous pool was a single speed main pump, pressure side cleaner & booster pump and a 3rd water feature pump. It certainly was NOT power friendly but I had that all figured out. This pool is a VS with Suction Side cleaner and a whole new learning curve for me.

Pool Details...

16' x 32' IG Pool
~20k gallons
White Plaster
Hayward Tristar SP3202VSP
Pentair 60 sq ft DE Filter
Hayward Navigator Pro Suction Cleaner

From the pool 2" line from suction cleaner and 2" line from Skimmer/Main Drain
- These are merged with a Jandy valve into a single 2" input to the pump.

To the Pool is a single 2" line out of DE filter that is reduced to (3) 1.5" return lines in the pool.

The pool builder's initial program was 5 hrs of full speed. The pool looks great, but I am not getting any advantage of the VS pump so I would like to reprogram with help from all the experience here.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

I run mine at 1100 rpm to filter, skim and make chlorine with the SWG. It uses 150 watts at 1100 rpm. Most folks can run 1000-1500 rpm 4 to 6 hours per day. Some split it to half AM and half PM to keep the pool skimmed better. Some run it 12 hours a day because the electricity consumption is minimal. At 10.25c/kWh it costs about 6 bucks a month run 12 hours a day at 150 watts.

Thank you pooldv, I really appreciate it.

In some really quick tests I ran, <=1500 RPM doesn't produce enough suction for the Navigator, so I'll need to run it a bit higher than that for some time at least.

Here is my current setting, let me know if you see any issue or concerns...

0500-0700 = 3000 RPM (essentially to run the Navigator)
0700-0900 = 1400 RPM (skim & filter)
2100-2400 = 1400 RPM (skim & filter)

We do have several deck spitter on valves that the kids like to run whenever they swim, which is essentially daily. When those are on I have programmed a button for them to push that runs the pump at 1000 RPMs to run the spitters. This basically provides some additional filter time too, although I think the 7 hours should be plenty.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.