Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Capacitor bad??

1. Back To Top    #1

Capacitor bad??

Today I realized that my pump stoped working after it has been working fine all summer. I pump is only 2 years old, the motor makes a loud humming noise then shuts off ( which I think means it is over heating and tripping out on the thermal overload). I can spin the propeller freely so I know nothing is jammed or the motor is locked up, when testing the capacitor I'm getting no ohms at all, and no continuity. Am I right to think that the capacitor is bad??
    27k gallon In ground, vinyle, Hayward aqua rite swg turbo cell15, Taylor K-2006 test kit,Hayward heater, Hayward dex2421 DE filter, Ecco pool pump 2 HP single speed

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Capacitor bad??

Those are the symptoms of a bad or loose cap. So I think you got it right.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Capacitor bad??

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    Those are the symptoms of a bad or loose cap. So I think you got it right.
    Thanks, I'm going tomorrow to the supply house to pick up a new cap, hopefully it works lol. The caps date on it is 2011 even though we got the pump installed 2 years ago so it must have sat for a little while before it was used
    27k gallon In ground, vinyle, Hayward aqua rite swg turbo cell15, Taylor K-2006 test kit,Hayward heater, Hayward dex2421 DE filter, Ecco pool pump 2 HP single speed