The Return of the Pool That Just Won't Die

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush3pwood

Silver Supporter
Jul 5, 2016
Marcellus, NY
First off, I'd like to thank CJ for all of his excellent advice in my last thread. His patience with me and my meltdowns is that of no mere mortal.

So at this point, I've drained the pool to a ft and refilled. I have my pump going. I also have my new pool measurement of 21ft diameter and 4ft deep (haven't done the math yet on gallon size, but I will once I find that calculator again). So that probably explains why things went pear shaped last time.

But hey, after the refill we are now dealing with a greenish blue pool instead of just a green one, so...progress?

So what comes next? I'm assuming:

1. Let the pump run for a while.
2. Do all the tests and get our numbers.

Then I can determine the amount of stabilizer + bleach I need to continue to slam?

Pool Math is you friend-look up ^^^^ there. See the blue oval that says Pool Math? There is where you go to figure out your size in gals. Put the new info. in your siggy so it will stick there.

Do you have the SLAM info bookmarked or printed out? If not do so now. If not go to the table of contents on the left hand side or the home page and you will see it under S for SLAM

Get some bleach in ASAP to get that pool clear!

Were you able to get any junk off the bottom of the pool? Do you have a pool net called a rake? It is a net with a deep pocket. It is for scooping stuff off the bottom of the pool or when you have lots to stuff on the top.

Thanks for the kind words guy.. I appreciate it.

This is why you tested your fill water... I think it was 1.5 fc and .5cc. Use that info to find how much bleach to add until you are full up. Use pool math to find out how much based on your volume

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Bleach in ASAP? Shouldn't I test first? I don't know how much to put in. But hey, I'm all for throwing a couple jugs in. :)

TEST first and now please. Use pool math up above to find out how much to put in to reach your SLAM level using the FC/CYA chart found inside the SLAM link you just found (I hope).

You ALWAYS test before you add ANYTHING! That is pool care lesson 1 for TFP. Good job learning that one and asking before you put any bleach in!

VERY good question!

Lets do this just for this time ONLY to give us a ball park figure as I think your CYA is going to be low.

Do you have a very bright light somewhere in the house? Mine is the light in my stove hood. When I test my CYA there I am about 5 ppm off so lets say YOU will also be about 5 off.

Do the CYA test FACING the bright light. Holding the tube at your tummy and doing the pour and glance method.

REMEMBER this is ONLY for this time just go get your SLAM started tonight. This is NOT the ideal way but will do for a ball park.

Now go test and let us know what you find on your levels.

Oh and use Poo Math to update you pool size (gals.) please.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'd like to start off by saying that I'm somewhat behind concerning your issues as I have yet to read your other post, but I think it's best to update everything anyways so let's start with the basics.

Can you please do us three favors.......
1. Can you please post a CURRENT set of test results using your own test kit. Please list the following,
  • FC
  • CC
  • CYA
  • pH
  • TA
  • CH
2. Can you please post a current photo of your water. This will help us see just how much "work" we need to do.
3. How are you viewing TFP? Are you on a cell phone using the mobile version of the forum? Tapatalk?? Desktop version??? By knowing how you are viewing TFP will help us assist you further in navigating the forum.

Once we get these items addressed we can start preparing a plan to help you clear your pool.

OH no! Lesson 2 of TFP keep a log of your test results. I have a one of those small notebooks I keep my log in. It helps in the long run. You will start to see the pattern of your pool.

I like that idea. Will definitely do.

Ok, so:

CL - 5
BR - 10
ph - 7.2
alk - 90
FC - 6.5
CC - 1
TC - 7.5
CYA - 20...or less?

Didnt do calcium hardness because I don't have a masonry pool, and the results were low on the tap water test, but if you guys think I should do it, I can.

Viewing mostly on my phone. My PC is still packed away.

Picture. Much more Blue than green this time around.

Could clean the bottom a little while it was draining, but not much. I was syphining it (hence getting to drink it) and didn't want to mess with it much. However, the leaf catcher has been absolutely amazing and I've been able to pull up a lot with it. I figure I can vacuume while the slam is going on.

Hopeully that answers everything?

Oh, about the CYA. It was hard to say. At 20, I could barely see it at all, butttttt I could still see it none the less. So I wouldn't say 0, but not quite 20 either?

- - - Updated - - -

Pool is 10,400 gallons. Yeah, probably why things went wrong. :(

Next TFP lesson--------do not worry with the drop/color test for the FC. It is really not precise enough for what we are doing. It is more to show if there is any FC in the pool or not.

You will not have any BR in the pool. That is a whole different monster that you NEVER want to deal with. You think you have it bad now????? It COULD be worse!

Okay so we will call your CYA 20 for now. I would not add any for tonight so you can use less bleach to get your FC up to SLAM level.

Here is your next job (after you change your siggy) done! is to find the FC/CYA chart inside the SLAM link. How much FC does it say you need to reach you SLAM amount with a CYA of 20??? Come tell us before you add it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.